type of pumpkin to use?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ken914

Reaction score
Apparently, there's a bunch of different kinds of pumpkins... who knew? :slp

Is there a recommendation on what kind of pumpkin to buy for winemaking? :h

I know a winery near me makes a fabulous honey pumpkin wine and they use sugar pumpkins. I know nothing about pumpkins so just going by what the Vintner told me as I sipped on that gold!

Thank you, Sir.

I know *nothing* about pumpkins, but the very name "sugar pumpkins" sounds like a good thing. :)

I heard Hubbard Squash makes a very good wine. Haven't tried it but thinking of trying it.

Hubbard squash are about the largest winter squash you'll find for sale (besides field pumpkins, that is). For that reason, they are often sold in pre-cut and seeded chunks of a size more appealing to home cooks.Hubbard squash are remarkably sweet with a clear pumpkin flavor. They sweeten as they're stored and their extra-thick skins help them store through the winter (up to five months if kept properly cool and dry). Hubbard squash are at their best when roasted. Try them seasoned with rosemary and black pepper or try them roasted and them mashed with plenty of butter and warm spices like cumin and nutmeg.
Hubbard squash are very large tear-shaped squash with skins that range from dark green to a pale grayish blue.

I made a pumpkin last year using one out of my sister's garden. Not sure of the variety but it tasted good going into the bottle last winter. I may open a bottle around Thanksgiving and try it out. The last month in the carboy (out of 4) I added a couple cinnamon sticks.

Latest posts

Back