Two questions before I start...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Traceyleezle

Junior
Reaction score
I've seen the big plastic carboys and I'm wondering do they impart any off taste to your wine? I'm a wee bit prejudiced against plastic anyhow. I'm just wondering if glass is better or if there really isn't a difference.

Second question is, does headspace matter for primary fermentation? I have a 7.5 gallon primary fermentor bucket, but I want to make 1 gallon of wine, can I pitch the yeast in that huge fermentor? Or do I need a smaller bucket for primary fermentation. Once primary is finished I will be racking it into 1 gallon carboys/glass jugs.

You want to use only food grade plastic for primary fermentation and you may use the Better Bottle for carboys, just remember you should not squeeze the BB as it's flexible and you'll shoot wine out the top.

I prefer glass for all my carboys, to each his own preference.

As far as headspace for primary fermentation you will ferment in a bucket and you will need room to allow for some small foaming, your stirring and any mini volcanos you may create when stirring out CO2.

I'm new at this wine making also, but, I think you should use a smaller bucket or pan because I think the liquid level will be soo low that it will be hard to keep oxygen suppended in the liquid. Let's let the pros give you the right answer. Lots of folks use the plastic, but I think the glass is easier to clean, at least easier to see that it's clean. That's what I think?

Semper Fi

You want to use only food grade plastic for primary fermentation and you may use the Better Bottle for carboys, just remember you should not squeeze the BB as it's flexible and you'll shoot wine out the top.

I prefer glass for all my carboys, to each his own preference.

As far as headspace for primary fermentation you will ferment in a bucket and you will need room to allow for some small foaming, your stirring and any mini volcanos you may create when stirring out CO2.

I agree on both accounts.

I agree w/steve also. Headspace in primary doesn't matter as long as there's enough room!

Latest posts

Back