Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a question : has anyone who’s squeezed out the the access juices , taste the product they’d just squeeze ??
Tastes the bitterness ?
Just "finished " a FWK with two bags of skins. Squeezed the bags as recommended (after "cleaning" sanitizing one's hands), and tasted some bitterness. But then I am drinking "skin and some wood" drainage. Just racked yesterday, and followed the instructions, and will let the carboy sit for 90 days before tasting. Then 6 months to follow.

Last edited:
Just "finished " a FWK with two bags of skins. Squeezed the bags as recommended (after "cleaning" sanitizing one's hands), and tasted some bitterness. But then I am drinking "skin and some wood" drainage. Just racked yesterday, and followed the instructions, and will let the carboy sit for 90 days before tasting. Then 6 months to follow.
amazing what grape parts can contribute isn't it?

Attachments

• 14b (2).jpg
    14b (2).jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 0
I finally got around to using two skin packs I had in the freezer. I believe I mentioned this before that these newer skin packs don’t freeze hard as a rock like the old ones. Brian said don’t worry about it so I didn’t. When I opened them today, I found that they contained seeds and a lot of stems. Is this a cost-cutting measure by adding stems or just a new approach to possibly make a better Wine. Also, if I use these two skin packs, would there be any value in adding 12 ounces of raisins?

I finally got around to using two skin packs I had in the freezer. I believe I mentioned this before that these newer skin packs don’t freeze hard as a rock like the old ones. Brian said don’t worry about it so I didn’t. When I opened them today, I found that they contained seeds and a lot of stems. Is this a cost-cutting measure by adding stems or just a new approach to possibly make a better Wine. Also, if I use these two skin packs, would there be any value in adding 12 ounces of raisins?
There are numerous types of skin packs, so I assume that's just one style. Stems and seeds add tannin, which can be lacking in concentrates.

Regarding adding raisins? It's not going to hurt anything by adding raisins, but if you're adding 2 skin packs (regardless of type), I doubt you'll see any real benefit due to diminishing returns, e.g., adding more doesn't improve things much.

To All: I finally got around to making my Costco Cab Sauv (2 - 6 L Bags of Grape Juice Concentrate). To one I added two pounds of thawed frozen blackberries, crushed and with the juice. To the second, I added 8 oz Currants and the skins of black table grapes, but not the juice. These were placed in disposable coffee drawstring filter bags. The oak chips included was also put in other filter bags. Both have plenty of room for the juices to flow. I upped the SG of both from 1.075 to 1.095 using turbinado sugar for the blackberry and regular white sugarcane sugar for the currants/skins.
Observations after 3 days: The fermentation in the blackberry fermenter is twice that of the the currant/skins. lots of bubbling. The mesh bags of all are bloated and full of air. I have punched down the bags twice daily and stirred the must. I have the fermenter lids on loosely with folded paper towels to hold the lids up. I would use towels, but my cats have in the past pulled them off and spilled some wine :<{
Anything else to do in this modification of a cheap kit?

To All: I finally got around to making my Costco Cab Sauv (2 - 6 L Bags of Grape Juice Concentrate). To one I added two pounds of thawed frozen blackberries, crushed and with the juice. To the second, I added 8 oz Currants and the skins of black table grapes, but not the juice. These were placed in disposable coffee drawstring filter bags. The oak chips included was also put in other filter bags. Both have plenty of room for the juices to flow. I upped the SG of both from 1.075 to 1.095 using turbinado sugar for the blackberry and regular white sugarcane sugar for the currants/skins.
Observations after 3 days: The fermentation in the blackberry fermenter is twice that of the the currant/skins. lots of bubbling. The mesh bags of all are bloated and full of air. I have punched down the bags twice daily and stirred the must. I have the fermenter lids on loosely with folded paper towels to hold the lids up. I would use towels, but my cats have in the past pulled them off and spilled some wine :<{

Sounds good to me. You're on your way!

Christopher, just to be clear, I assume you are making two batches of wine, correct? I think you are really going to like the "Blackberryed" wine. I frequently add a large can of blackberry concentrate to my Cab Savs. One suggestion if I may. In addition to "punching down" the bags on a regular basis, I sanitize my hands with K-meta and squeeze the bags for greater extraction. You might consider doing this.

Keep us up to date and good luck.

Christopher, just to be clear, I assume you are making two batches of wine, correct? I think you are really going to like the "Blackberryed" wine. I frequently add a large can of blackberry concentrate to my Cab Savs. One suggestion if I may. In addition to "punching down" the bags on a regular basis, I sanitize my hands with K-meta and squeeze the bags for greater extraction. You might consider doing this.

Keep us up to date and good luck.
Yes. Two separate batches. And yes., I sanitize the hands. K-meta? And not one step or StarSan?

Yes. Two separate batches. And yes., I sanitize the hands. K-meta? And not one step or StarSan?
Star San is acidic (pH < 2.9) and One Step resembles industrial strength H2S2, so I'd be leery of having either on my skin for any length of time.

When touching wine physically, I just wash my hands with soap-n-water, which is probably sufficient.

I wear rubber gloves and dip my hands in StarSan. One minute contact time to sanitize. My understanding is that k-meta needs 10 minutes of contact time to do its thing. That's a long time to be waving my hands in the air.

I wear rubber gloves and dip my hands in StarSan. One minute contact time to sanitize. My understanding is that k-meta needs 10 minutes of contact time to do its thing. That's a long time to be waving my hands in the air.
If you do wave your hands in public, they think you are dancing or a Pentacostal...

I am about to snap the lid on a FWK with skins for two weeks. Current temperature is 76 F. Normally I leave it there. Would I get more skin extraction if I raise the heat belt temperature to 79-80F? This belt is very accurate.

I am about to snap the lid on a FWK with skins for two weeks. Current temperature is 76 F. Normally I leave it there. Would I get more skin extraction if I raise the heat belt temperature to 79-80F? This belt is very accurate.
I have no direct knowledge on the subject but my intuition would say yes.

Where did you get the 10 minute contact time from? Most of us just give everything that contacts the wine a quick squirt or dunk with K-meta. I remember seeing an old video with Tim Vandergrift saying that a few seconds after spraying with K-meta, , there's virtually none left on contact surfaces. I use K-meta for all my sanitizing, including hands, and have never had an issue.

Where did you get the 10 minute contact time from? Most of us just give everything that contacts the wine a quick squirt or dunk with K-meta. I remember seeing an old video with Tim Vandergrift saying that a few seconds after spraying with K-meta, , there's virtually none left on contact surfaces. I use K-meta for all my sanitizing, including hands, and have never had an issue.
I can't find the exact source but I do remember reading that. Here is what a quick google search found:

Make a solution of 8 teaspoons dry measure of potassium metabisulfite added to 1 gallon (4 liters) of water, and then rinse your equipment in this solution for about 5 minutes to sanitize, and let drip dry.

Keep your eyes on the PH

Back