Other Tweeking Cheap Kits

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bottled a Wine Lovers Gamay Medium bodied kit 5/1/22. I dropped some water back from 23 liters as kits designed, added 1 cup of dried cherries (Meijers supermarket sells them-these were MI pie cherries but tasted slightly sweet in spite of not listed as having been sweetened) and a cup of dried cranberries in the fermenter along with 8oz of red grape concentrate to up %. As transferred from fermenter into 6 gallon/23 liter carboy we tasted it after the 2nd racking, having added a 2nd 8oz of red grape concentrate but stopped the fermentation as was after a back sweetened red wine and upping the sweetness a tad.
I was actually chasing the Lambrusco Riunite red that we buy for mixing with OJ for Sangria with meals. I have 30.5 btls.
I tasted the wine as I was checking my alcohol (12%) at bottling and I believe I nailed a semi-sweet red to emulate Lambrusco. In a month I'll drink some of the half btl in the fridge and see what I've really got. I'll post the final taste results here.

Next up is another WL's kit, the Zinfandel Blush as mentioned a few pages back in this thread.
I/m leaning toward a 5 gallon total ferment plus 8oz of the red grape concentrate to bolster the alcohol % and add flavor. Unlike the guy earlier I'll not add any rhubarb as of all the foods on earth it's one of a handful that turn my stomach.
I remain open to ideas for tweaking that kit? My wife is a Beringers White Zinfandel fan so that's what I'll be shooting for.

Tip of the day: For an interesting taste test, try Lambrusco's Emilia red wine. It's a fizzy on the tongue & has several flavors involved and makes a great Sangria! We pour in ~ 1/2 glass of (we use 50/50 OJ) OJ, 1/2 of wine, far better than any box or bottled Sangria by far.

I have this question about WL's kits-what makes the difference between a heavy or medium bodied kit using the same grape? Is it more (volume) of the grape concentrate or is it more concentrated?
Impressive. I'll be looking forward to your taste updates. I'm the guy who experimented with the rhubarb f-pac but for the first batch of Zinfandel Blush, I added a raspberry f-pac and it was/is very enjoyable.

Apologies as my supper was ready & couldn't recall yer handle here.
BTW, The Riunite website itself has an interesting few info pages written from Italian, r.e. the Emilia region & the grapes that grow there, wines made, etc.. That Lambrusco Emelia is capped with a twis top alu cap but highly fizzy on the tongue and has many fruit flavors present yet not a Boones Farm type of alkyhol/soda pop style drink. Shows what blended wine can become on the cheap @ retail plus how flavors can be present in a wine.
My SIL is puter savy and made me some labels for my Gamay using a picture taken out our kitchen sink window few years back when the Dogwoods & Redbuds were both in their glory. I'll post the label in the future, it's personal, informative and neat.
Prospecting for my blush kit...

I am getting ready to start my 3rd Sauvignon Blanc wine kit. The last 2 I fermented at room temperature (68). The final wines on those 2 kits have very little aroma and flavor. For this kit I want to try to ferment at 55 degrees, hoping for a longer ferment to bring out flavor and aroma. I am going to use QA23 yeast. Has anyone successfully fermented a kit white white at a slow fermentation at 55 degrees?

Has anyone successfully fermented a kit white white at a slow fermentation at 55 degrees?
I've made wines at 58 F, and they took 3+ weeks to ferment. I suggest making an overnight starter -- 1/2 tsp nutrient, 1/2 tsp sugar, 1 cup water, and yeast. Let it work for 6 hours on the counter, then move to your fermentation area to let the temperature cool to match the surroundings. Letting it go for up to 24 hours will produce a larger initial colony. Pour gently down the side of the fermenter so it doesn't spread much, and don't stir for at least 24 hours.

I've made wines at 58 F, and they took 3+ weeks to ferment. I suggest making an overnight starter -- 1/2 tsp nutrient, 1/2 tsp sugar, 1 cup water, and yeast. Let it work for 6 hours on the counter, then move to your fermentation area to let the temperature cool to match the surroundings. Letting it go for up to 24 hours will produce a larger initial colony. Pour gently down the side of the fermenter so it doesn't spread much, and don't stir for at least 24 hours.
When you fermented slowly at the lower temperatures did you notice the aroma and flavor were better? I am going to start my kit today. I will take your suggestions on the yeast starter. I will start it in my basement at 67 degrees and once fermentation starts I will move it to my wine room at 55 degrees. I am anxious to see how this will turn out.

It’s similar to a cold soak, sometimes the yeast doesn’t react like it’s supposed to and just settles out only re~bloom once it warms up , then you have a problem .
If your in the path then have fun thinking outside the box.
Keep us in touch on your progress

When you fermented slowly at the lower temperatures did you notice the aroma and flavor were better? I am going to start my kit today. I will take your suggestions on the yeast starter. I will start it in my basement at 67 degrees and once fermentation starts I will move it to my wine room at 55 degrees. I am anxious to see how this will turn out.
I think the kits were better with the cool ferment, but I had nothing to benchmark against. I was pleased with the results.

Dropping a ferment from 67 to 55 may stick it, as Joe said. I'd place the must in the wine room overnight so it's at room temperature.

I forgot to mention you want the starter water to be 90 to 96 F, as that's a better temperature for the yeast. It's not a good temperature for wine, but it will cool to room temperature before you inoculate.

A few adjustments to the starter: Use 2 yeast packets to produce a larger initial colony, and bump the sugar to 2 tsp. Instead of your kitchen, place the starter in the cellar. After 6 hours, move it to the wine room for another 18 hours before inoculating.

Why? The starter is closer to an ideal environment for the yeast to grow. Mine are typically active within 20 minutes, and 6 hours gives the yeast time to do a lot of begetting. The movement to the wine room (12 degree F drop) is likely to stunt some of the yeast, but hopefully you'll have a large enough colony that enough will adapt.

This may take 3 or 4 days to take off; well, as much as it will take off. Do not expect normal physical signs of ferment -- you may not see much. Trust your hydrometer -- if you get a 2 point drop, it's working.

If you get no SG drop after 5 days, I'd assume it didn't work and move to the cellar. As Joe said, it may take off then. If not, make another starter.

something to be said making your own extracts or fpacks

Attachments

• 1 Cut Pomegrantes in half.jpg
    1 Cut Pomegrantes in half.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 17
  • 2 spoon out seeds.jpg
    2 spoon out seeds.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 16
  • 3 put in pan.jpg
    3 put in pan.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 16
  • 4 added some amarone about 1 cup.jpg
    4 added some amarone about 1 cup.jpg
    3.3 MB · Views: 17
  • 5 put the lid on and steam juice.jpg
    5 put the lid on and steam juice.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 15
  • 6 simmer down.jpg
    6 simmer down.jpg
    3.4 MB · Views: 15
  • 7 finished product.jpg
    7 finished product.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20141023_155351280.jpg
    IMG_20141023_155351280.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20141029_191644606.jpg
    IMG_20141029_191644606.jpg
    2.4 MB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20141029_193905593.jpg
    IMG_20141029_193905593.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 11
last phase

Attachments

• IMG_20141104_182217624.jpg
    IMG_20141104_182217624.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 7
  • 7 finished product.jpg
    7 finished product.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 7
  • IMG_20141023_155414084_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20141023_155414084_HDR.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20141029_185655541.jpg
    IMG_20141029_185655541.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20141029_192959482.jpg
    IMG_20141029_192959482.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20141029_193905593.jpg
    IMG_20141029_193905593.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20141030_124900574.jpg
    IMG_20141030_124900574.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 6
  • IMG_20141030_124902612.jpg
    IMG_20141030_124902612.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 8
  • IMG_20141030_125142677.jpg
    IMG_20141030_125142677.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_20141104_172408316.jpg
    IMG_20141104_172408316.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 10
Quick question- I tried reading the thread, but my ADHD hit at page 64… Fontana Merlot kit, plan on 5 gals with Currants… I have a half gallon of blackberry purée- add it or stupid?

No not at all , that’s thinking outside the box in my world, once added to the primary check your ABV to see we’re you sit with it then add just water as needed , got?
What yeast are you using 1118 v

Last edited:
I’m not sure what will come with the Fontana Merlot kit, but I have plenty of EC-1118 on hand. I’m curious if the blackberry purée will complement the Merlot, or change it drastically.

Probably so should just either concentrate on the current or the purée but not both, I’d do the current on this one about a cup full

Last edited:
I've been making high-end kits for years. I'm intrigued by the idea of using cheap kits to make a decent daily drinker. My plan is to make two identical kits (On the House Merlot), one to mfr's instructions, one with tweaks, and then compare them. My plan after reading this thread (yes, I have read all 151 pages) is this recipe: Reduce water to 5 gallons, add EITHER 1 cup Zante currants OR a blackberry fpac made from 16 oz berries, Chaptalize to 1.10 SG, add one cup oak chips. In secondary add 1 tsp tannin.

Does anyone have a tried-and-true Merlot recipe they would like to recommend instead of the above? Also, what about using either RC212 or Red Star Premier Rouge yeast instead of the EC1118? I appreciate all suggestions.

Joe, I will take your advise on the Fontana Merlot kit. On this attempt, I will add 1 cup of currants, oak, and chapitalize.

any advice on what to do with the 1/2 gallon of blackberry purée on another kit?

@GretchenR
I used the recipe you listed using blackberries, and also a cheap Malbec with Zante currants--both to 5 gallons. These are two of my favorite "easy drinkers." Sadly I'm almost out of both so have two more in the works where I'm experimenting with making full 6 gallons for comparison. Other changes I kept the same. Can't wait until they're ready.

Back