Turned cloudy after backsweetened

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cheryl

Junior
Reaction score
I have a rhubarb Riesling that I fermented to dry, used kmeta, sorbate, and sparklloid.. it rested until clear. I racked it and degassed then sweetened. The wine is now again cloudy. It's been sitting for a week with very little change. I also have the leftover wine in the fridge, it too is cloudy. Any thoughts on how to clear it? It does not smell like yeast ( like refermenting) or have any off odors.

I have a rhubarb Riesling that I fermented to dry, used kmeta, sorbate, and sparklloid.. it rested until clear. I racked it and degassed then sweetened. The wine is now again cloudy. It's been sitting for a week with very little change. I also have the leftover wine in the fridge, it too is cloudy. Any thoughts on how to clear it? It does not smell like yeast ( like refermenting) or have any off odors.

What did you sweeten with?

Gravity and a calendar should take care of it. Give it a few weeks, it should clear back up.

I think I'll let it sit for awhile and see what happens. Thank you all for the help.

I agree with venatorscribe -- pectic enzyme. I had the same thing happen with a cherry wine -- it was crystal clear ... until I sweetened it.

I add pectic enzyme to all fruit wines -- preventative maintenance.

Fruit wine is similar to whites. Protein can be a problem. Try some negatively charged fining agent like bentonite followed by sparkolloid.
Superclear should work as well since it has a negative component (Kieselsol) to take care of protein.
I got some listens for fruit wines without applying benonite before bottling.
I guess it is called hot stabliztion.

Last edited:
Dualfine (new name for Super-Kleer) has worked wonders on my wines this year. Labelpeelers sells them for $1.91 each.

I was finally able to get my hands on some super kleer. It's been 18 hours and its almost clear.....Thank you all for your input

I have had a couple batches get cloudy when moved/stirred. The culprit was gas, so some good stirring and splash-racking helped, as did extra time.

Latest posts

Back