Trust the directions!!!

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I wanted to make a quick post to help anyone new to this. I am in the process of making my first batch. I choose a chardonnay so I can really track the clearing process visually. The directions are dead on when it comes to timelines etc. Like everyone who is first trying this, when your first rack it is milky and doesn’t resemble wine so you become a little skeptical. I am here to say that if you follow the directions you will be completely satisfied with the finished product. The picks are the first racking and the final week.
20070309_055230_Before_after.JPG
and the final week of racking.

I am also new to wine making and plan on doing my first few kits by following the directions. However, I am much more interested in making the best wine possible then just getting it done!

As with all my hobbies I do extensive research before starting. I find it very interesting how some seasoned wine makers are making "kit" wine.

http://home.thezone.net/~phumber/brewing.htm
http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/extended.asp

Here are a couple reads that have me thinking. I would be interested if anyone has tried these "alternative methods" to kit wine.

I took a look at the Jack Keller link and stopped reading at the first sentence since I see lots of potential issues and see no advantages and many disadvantages.
smiley21.gif

I am also wanting to make the best possiable wine I can. The purpose of my post was to ILLISTRATE how correct the directions are nothing more nothing less. If I were just interested in getting it done I would buy the stuff!!!<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" />

First Time Wine said:
I am also wanting to make the best possiable wine I can. The purpose of my post was to ILLISTRATE how correct the directions are nothing more nothing less. If I were just interested in getting it done I would buy the stuff!!!<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><O:p></O:p>

Sorry for jumping on your thread.....just looking for experiences and results of alternative methods. I should have started my own thread!! After trying my first few kits I amsure I will no longer feel the need to experiment!!

Hdhunter,
Once you get some experience with a few kits, you will learn some of the basics of winemaking. The kits are made to be done by a certain procedure to give the best results. Then you might experiment with some fruit wines. This gives you more experience and allows for some experimentation, following recipes and some basic guidelines. At some point if you are really adventurous, you can buy $100 plus of wine grapes and try making your own from scratch.You might get lucky and make a good batch once in a while.

Nothing wrong with straying from the beaten path, just bring a roadmap and expect some bumps along the way.Edited by: appleman

After making well over 150 kitsmy opinion is that if you want to make the best wine possible that goal can be achievedbybuying the best kit possible rather than deviating greatly from the written directions.

Best Kit = Best Wine

masta said:
After making well over 150 kits my opinion is that if you want to make the best wine possible that goal can be achieved by buying the best kit possible rather than deviating greatly from the written directions.

Best Kit = Best Wine

Words of Wisdom! I could not agree more! I qualify it from Best Wine to "Best Wine from Kits". Fruit wines, grape wines, etc, not from kits can make some pretty great stuff too
smiley2.gif

I agree, if your going to deviate from the instrucyions far, get some
goos guidekines and experience under your belt first. Nothing worse
than dumping a batch down the drain. Another bit of advice, if you use
campden tablets and switch to pot-meta which is cheaper and better,
beware of the ratio and double check as I and a few people have lost
batches from overdosing the batch!

Latest posts

Back