True happiness

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

terrymck

Reaction score
OK, since this was my turn to make dinner, I had a taste for linguini with clam sauce. The recipe called for 1/2 cup of white wine. No problem, since I had just bottled my first batch of a German style wine. A half cup for the recipe and a glass for me for a relaxing preparation. After finishing the bottle during dinner I reflected what a great hobby we have; wine at our disposal for those memorable meals; true happiness.

One of my favorite dishes, Terry. For what it is worth, here is how I make it. I normally use canned chopped clams but one can use fresh if they feel like the extra work.

Ingredients:
2 each 6.5 oz. cans of chopped clams
2 T EVOO
1/2 C. diced cooking onion
3 cloves minced garlic
1/2 C. chopped (not minced) parsley
4 T. Butter
White wine
Red pepper flakes (to taste)
Black pepper (to taste)
Salt (to taste)
1 lb. Linguine
1/2 C. Grated Parmesan cheese

Open clams and drain into large measuring cup, reserving all liquid. Add white wine equal to the amount of clam liquid to the measuring cup and set clams and liquid aside. Put heavy Dutch oven pan on medium-high heat and add olive oil. Turn heat down to medium and add onion and garlic and sauté until onions are clear being careful not to burn the garlic. Add the liquid and butter and heat to low boil until you can no longer detect alcohol boiling off. Turn heat down to low.

In the meantime, prepare the linguine to "al dente" following the package directions. Toss the clams into the Dutch oven, add the cooked linguine and stir in red pepper, black pepper, salt and Parmesan cheese. When all ingredients are well mixed, add the chopped parsley, stir and serve. Enjoy!

Note: I always serve the dish with the white wine contained in it but I find it especially good with Soave or Sauvignon Blanc.

Alright if we are gonna toss in recipe ideas I am gonna throw in mine! :)

I do like Rocky pretty much item for item but we like to toss in all those grape tomatoes that are over ripe and you don't know what to do with them, especially when summer comes and you have a bout 3 pounds coming in per week! LOL Cut in half and then just cook down the sauce as usual. Wow, the acid from those tomatoes does a whole new dimension when pairing with a white wine. Capers as well go nicely!

We also press the "easy" button with the clams and love the Costco Sea Clams. Can you say....... Awesome sauce!

38708b.jpg

Rocky, my recipe is very similar to yours except for the addition of thyme. I prepare the linguine just short of al dente as it will finish up in the sauce.

Latest posts

Back