Trout Filets

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sevenal

Reaction score
Had some nice filets for supper last night
Caught them almost a year ago
Froze them in ziploc freezer bags full to the top with fish and water.
Still great a year later.
I'll post a couple pictures to show the fish and the filets.

Fishing Season!

That is the best way to freeze fish. It keeps it from drying out in the freezer. I bet they were good. We are jealous..

Dave

Is that plain tap water, salt water, other? Also, how did you cook the filets? Trout is my favorite fish. I like to take the whole prepared trout, rub it inside and out with olive oil, dredge it in a salt, pepper, cayenne pepper, flour and corn meal mixture and fry it in about 1/2" of olive oil. Drain well on a rack and enjoy. You can actually hear the angels sing.

Huh, Ive never heard of filling he bags with water. I have a freezer full also. Mine are vacuum sealed though so hopefully that helps.

Huh, Ive never heard of filling he bags with water. I have a freezer full also. Mine are vacuum sealed though so hopefully that helps.

Filling the freezer bags with water will make sure the fillets do not come into contact with air and therefore will not get freezer burn.
Vacuum sealing will accomplish the same thing. Both methods will work very well.

Rocky

Wrong kind of Trout
These are spotted sea trout
Actually members of the DRUM family
Closely related to Grey Trout or what some call Weak Fish
But never the less more akin to Redfish than any fresh water Trout like Brown,Brook, Rainbow or Steel.
Very Good Eating we had fried fish filets.
I keep other species for steaks and the sort.

Last edited:
Looks good. Never heard of filling the bags with water before, will have to try that next time I get some fresh fish.

I remember when I was in my late teens and early 20's and living in Phoenix, N.Y. between Syracuse and Oswego, going several times in the year to a stream called Mad River. Caught many a native brook trout there and always cooked them over a wood fire before returnig home,

Costa Rica

What u got in that pipe

No really is that your permeant address or do you go back and forth from and to the states.
How does one vote from Costa Rica

And New York state ?
How do ever get out of the New York state of mine.

And then there is the Costa Rica ? Why are you not making fishing memories for a place like that.
LOL

Really I can only imagine how great the near or on shore fishing is there.

Enjoy life my brother where ever you may find it.

That's how we freeze Brown Gulf Shrimp. Take the heads off and fill empty milk carton with shrimp and tap water, no freezer burn.

I was born in Syracuse and lived in NY until my Father took another job and we moved to Pa. when I was 15. Later years I got married and moved back to Phoenix, N.Y. where I enjoyed the state's hunting and fishing until we moved back to Pa. in 1963.

My son moved to Costa Rica about 2000. We retired to Costa Rica in 2003 and arrived here 2 weeks before our twin grand kids were born. Since then, a third has been added.

As far as fishing Costa Rica, you sinply can't believe it. One of these days I will learn how to post pics and post them.

Mike

Wiz

All I did to post pictures was follow Julie's little tutorial.
Go new thread or post reply (not quick reply)
Below the main post window you will see Manage attachments
Click on that and the next window will let you browse to pictures saved on your computer.
One you browse to that folder and then the specific photo
Click upload on the right side of that window.
After a moment the file is CIA Ladd as a file name which you will see appear just be cognoscenti of the file name you have selected and you will see it pop up after a moment of two.
I then clicked on that uploaded file and dragged and stopes it into the body of the post window.
I'm sure there may be some other acceptable method, but try stand I think you will soon see how to do it.
Beside we all wanna see those Wahoo pictures.
:pic

Tony

The Brownies were really large here this year.
I put 30 lbs in my freezer a month ago or so.
I counted them so I could see what the actual count was and they were 17 count. Which for those who don't know refers to the fact that there were 17 shrimp to each pound.
We all expect the Green Tail Shrimp to be plentiful and large as well. The early ones caught with the Brown shrimp were already very large for that early.
I froze them in the same manner. The Browns were $3.50 a pound, but two weeks prior they were bigger and $3.
Coincidentally tonight we had a stir fry with shrimp I bought a year ago.
The brown shrimp tonight were small, like a 30 ct. But I paid like $12 for 8 lbs.
Fishing season is about to get really good here in a couple weeks.
I'll be visiting my honey hole and catching 200 shrimp each morning to use for live bait rigs.
Deadly for the very hungry trout, drum and flounder.

Latest posts

Back