Triple Berry-Aged too long?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hmoss

Junior
Reaction score
I started a triple berry, quick drinker wine at least a year ago. A recipe that was supposed to have it ready within 3 months or so. I did all the steps, basically up to but not including sweetening and bottling. Then I started a new job and the 6 gallon carboy has sat in my closet ever since (minus a 9 hour car ride in a Uhaul where I didn't notice the airlock had been pushed off so it was in contact with air).

A few times I have refilled the airlock when it got low, and there's a small chance I treated it with potassium sorbate at some point but I can't remember. Normally I wouldn't be concerned at all-except it was supposed to be a quick drinker. Does that affect how long I should have aged it? Have I let it sit too long? I tried a half glass tonight and while I enjoyed the taste (nothing off putting, just a bit harsh), my head immediately started feeling odd and painful. Probably my imagination but wanted to check..

Side note-my sense of smell is pretty much nonexistent so I can't smell for any of the tell tale signs of a wine gone wrong. Though like I said, I did taste it-don't really trust my sense of taste either though.

I'd check the sg. If it's very oow (.990) I'd sweeten it to 1.005 and then taste it, I've never seen a wine, properly cared for, go bad in a carboy.

Bad head after half a glass of wine.... Did you remember to eat first? If not that could be the problem, especially if you were dehydrated at all. This of corse assumes you can normaly drink half a glass and be fine.
No pathagon that can harm a human can live in alcahol. So I have been told. This is why they drink wine all day in countries with bad water. Even the kids (watered down).

That said, unless you have an alergie to one of the ingrediants the wine should be safe to drink. If it taste good anyway.

Early drinkers can be aged. They may not get better with age and may oxidise if not properly sealed or sulfered. They will still be safe to drink. A year is not a long time! Maybe three or four years is old for an early drinker.

Dito on having someone else taste the wine. Sweeten a glass to see if that help the flavor.

Sent from my iPod touch using Wine Making

Thanks guys. Usually don't get a bad head till I've consumed at least a bottle, so it was an anomaly. Haven't been feeling well lately though, so I think I'll attribute it to that. I'm going to follow the advice here, greatly appreciated.

Was the wine was racked off the lees after clearing, or has it been sitting on the lees for a year?

Drinking when sick can go either way. Get better soon so you can enjoy that wine!

Sent from my iPod touch using Wine Making

my head immediately started feeling odd and painful. Probably my imagination but wanted to check..

Other than the alcohol, I don't think anything in a wine gone bad can affect you that quickly.

The main risk is oxidation. Did you see any film on the surface? If your wine turned to vinegar, that would turn your stomach.

The wine had been racked off the lees, and there wasn't any film on the surface. So I think I'm good to go!

I have a few bottles of Triple Berry Wine from last year or older and none of them have caused me any issues.

If take a sip or drink something and it does not taste like hell, than it is probably not spoiled wine.

I have taken sips of my homemade vinegar, which is currently not quite vinegar and not quite wine and that has not got me sick.

Usually bad wine will not sit well and then will make your insides know you made a mistake.

I get headache from my over sulfited wines, when I forget to air them out before consumption

Back