Transporting Full Carboys

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

callmet

Junior
Reaction score
Hello. I need to move several full carboys from one location to another. The problem is that live in a mountainous area that has lots of winding roads and I am very concerned about them tipping in the back of my SUV. Does anyone have anysuggestions forideas and/or productsout there that I can use to stabilize them while I am driving?

Thanks in advance.

Trish

As Northern said, plastic milk crates work pretty good....I have used them in the past....good luck

I would also recommend getting the solid type bungs and putting in them instead of the airlocks if that is what you have in there now.

I recommend the plastic milk crates as well. As Waldo stated to, if you have airlocks in the, either get solid bungs or those Orange carboy caps (my favorite) for the ride particularly if you have any active fermenting wines. The movement will create pressure and vacuum as will the changes in elevations since you say you are in the mountains. It will suck the solution in the lock into the wine.

Agree with the milk crates. Have you ever tried large balloons sanitized and attached to the carboy and then use a rubber band on the neck. Latex gloves also work nicely (clean and sanitize them well). They allow for pressure/vacuum fluctuations nicely. They look cool when they expand too!
smiley36.gif

Salute!
smiley1.gif
Edited by: bmckee56

Back