Too much Kmeta.... Sangioveese may be lost

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sdelli

Reaction score
Pulled one of my batches of Sangiovese out of the barrel today.... Was using my Vinetrica 300 for the first time since it got back from repair. It would not register any so2 after using the whole 5mg syringe... So I added 6 grams of kmeta to the 6 gallon carboy... Tried again... Still would not register... Like a fool I do not know what I was thinking but I added 6 more grams.... Still no register... So I check it on a different batch of wine and it registers fine at 25ppm. So..... I then finally figure it out that the reason it is not registering is because it is off he charts! OMG....So I splash rack and mix to aureate for a few minutes.... Added 2 oz. Hydrogen Peroxide and mix again.... I can tell I got a lot out by the smell but only time will tell now if I ruined this one..... Maybe if it does come around I can mix it with the second batch of Sangiovese that is in the barrel now...

Last edited:
Let it age, time just might fix it. If you racked it into an oak barrel, this should correct that in no time! I find that a few months in a barrel pretty much depletes the SO2 levels.

Ya.... That is what I am hing for.... Maybe I'll get lucky.... I figure I will splash rack it a couple more times over the next month then let it sit....

Latest posts

Back