Too much sulphite

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

plato25

Supporting Members
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Soon my first 5 gallons. Proceeding perfectly. I had added some more sugar and again perfect fermentation. After few days checked SG - 1.040. I though I would add a bit more sugar (as syrop), picked up the wrong bottle and mixed thoroughly into the wine.

Realised my mistake a few minutes later. I estimate I had added 10-12 grams of sulphite. Fermentation stoped an hour later.

Crisis, can I recover it? If so how. I did a bit of Googling and it seems that a lot of agitation with release SO2. Then add more yeast and start sin. Hopefully

One crisis after.another! Any suggestions as to the best way forward, if any?

Hope there is help out there.

Thanks

Hi all I’ve been away for a few days in order to do as suggested. ie transfer with plenty of splashing. First time I had about 3” of “foam in the receiving 25l carboy. Obviously a lot of gas coming out.

Added yeast and left for 34 hours. No fermention. So repeated the prices. Slightly less foam. Added yeast and waited 24 hours. Still no fermentation but just a few very small bubbles in the circumference surface but nothing more.

Repeated again. Same result no fermentation. So plan to do a 4 th time. Assuming there is no fermentation should I give up at this stage or do 1 or more attempts before pouring down the sink? BTW SG us 1.035.

Thx for any further suggestions

Time is free, wait it out.

Personally I would splash rack, the exit from the siphon tube should be at the top of the carboy, letting the stream of must free fall a few feet. This gets oxygen in as well as SO2 out.

Hi Bob

Thx. I have been doing that. I was concerned that I could be over doing it and introducing too much oxygen. That said wine smells good so I assume it’s OK for the moment at least. Maybe time is the solution. I’m not in any hurry now, having resigned myself to a long wait.

Latest posts

Back