To watery

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MonteroRed

Reaction score
Have a couple batches maybe a month going, one cherry, one sandhill plumb.... For more body any suggestions.... I have heard of using grape concentrate for back sweetening/ body.... What would you suggest?

you can toss in an overripe banana (leave the peel on and cut up first for more surface area), or get some glycerin from the LHBS. The banana will give more nutrients to the yeast and a better mouthfeel to the wine.

Are you saying this can be done after primary? I too have a thin wine and looking for a way to fix it.

ooooooohhhhh..... the wine is done already??? Go get the glycerin. That's what I did on a thin wine....

Right.. Most times, body/mouthfeel is addressed pre-ferment although there are a few things you could do post-ferment that might help some.. Depending on how much the batch means to you..

Your first option is oak.. Should add some body and mouthfeel, but will also impart a few other characteristics depending on the type of oak and the toast level

The second option is formulated tannins - something like Uva'Tan or Uva'Tan Soft - they can be added post-fermentation, and when allowed to sit for 3-6 weeks without racking, filtering, bottling, etc... They contribute some to mouthfeel and enhance structure in a wine.. There's slight differences between the two i mentioned, and other options besides.. But that'll give ya an idea..

Basically, they're both additions of tannins to enhance the structure..
Backsweetening with honey can help some, if thats "your thing" (its my thing)

And the glycerin, if thats "your thing"

Would need to know a lot more details, to help much more...

Defiantly thin and acidic, needs some backsweetening. But I like tart dry wines. They just seem watery. Only couple weeks into them. Just wonder if I should have left them in the primary longer or do they wine out a little more with age. First try was three batches ago, the plumb, then cherry..... But I did a welches grape concentrate wine and it has more body, better smell, taste, although I doubt it needs the aging the other two require. Seriously never done this until three batches all within a month or more ago. They all might be crap for all I know. Just thought maybe I could repair a couple batches.... I will try the honey most likely. So no concentrate? Seems like a good idea but you guys have more wine behind ya than I do appreciate all input. When should one back sweeten.?... Have sorbate and other chemicals.

Concentrate might work, i just haven't done it.

Sorbate + K-meta.. Wait a week.. Then sweeten

In the future, you might consider reading up on additives like Booster Blanc/Rouge, Opti-White/Opti-Red or some tannins.. They all help to boost the mid-range palette and structure in the wine..

Time will also help to flesh out more of the flavors though, and some of that "watery" sensation will fade, but the wine wont get any "chewier" or viscous than it already is

Concentrate might work, i just haven't done it.

Sorbate + K-meta.. Wait a week.. Then sweeten

In the future, you might consider reading up on additives like Booster Blanc/Rouge, Opti-White/Opti-Red or some tannins.. They all help to boost the mid-range palette and structure in the wine..

Time will also help to flesh out more of the flavors though, and some of that "watery" sensation will fade, but the wine wont get any "chewier" or viscous than it already is

Thanks Deezil, I have the kmeta/sorbate.... Appreciate all your suggestions. I will do more research

Mite try a flavor pac with it. Take some of the fruit you made the wine out of, juice it out. Simmer the juice down by a quarter or half, and add it to the wine. It will most likely cloud the wine up some so it will have to be cleared again. Will probably need some pectic enzime and time. you can just try some of it in a glass or a pint and not do the whole batch til you decide if you like it or not. Arne.

go slow with the honey, you dont want to over sweeten and you dont want to kill your fruit flavors for sure bench test it with small amounts

For the next time, though - if it is too thin this time - add more fruit per gallon and maybe some bananas. I cut bananas up into 1-inch segments and throw those in a bag and into the must. Punch the bag down once a day or weight it down. They are flavor neutral. They will really liven up your primary ferment, too.

If you want heavier body, try cutting up and then boiling the bananas, skins and all, and then running the resulting viscous fluid through a large screen colander. Use this liquid as the water in your must. It's harder work and on the back end, you may have to use a clarifier, but it boosts body.

Sugar is the best body booster there is, as it thickens the wine when it is present in high quantities. But not everyone likes sweet wine. For dry wines, tannins and judicious use of the acids can help. Citric acid (or lemon juice if you have time for it to clear) adds brightness to fruit wines. Orange juice can be used as well (try to use no pulp juice to speed clearing). Oaking also adds structure.

I have been tempted in the extreme to boil up a batch of okra and then use the liquid as a body-builder, but so far have resisted this experiment. I've also wondered if chopped okra in a bag would help in a must. Hmmm. It thickens soup.

Latest posts

Back