time to regroup and count losses

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

victank1

Reaction score
I have racked and my wine taste like nothing recognizeable in the world of wine ...mostly a sour bad alcohol taste.. is it time to dump?

Vic, you need to refresh us on what this is, when it was made, and where its at now!

victank1 said:
I have racked and my wine taste like nothing recognizeable in the world of wine ...mostly a sour bad alcohol taste.. is it time to dump?

Need More INFO

Please do not get in a hurry to dump it..... more info would be good

If every one dumped a batch that they thought went bad there would be a lot less wine on our shelves and some of them are really great now. I made an Ice wine that was disgusting when it was bottled so I shelved it for 1 year only because I didnt want to drink it but didnt want to pour it down the drain either. Well, 1 year later I got up enough guts to try it again and it is 1 of the best wines Ive made to date. You have to have lots of patience, sometimes a wine is great from the get go and sometime you just need to forget about it for awhile.

I agree with the above posts. Need more info.

Was this from a kit or from scratch? I find that half of the wines I make from scratch taste just slightly better than dog poop at first but like wade said, after a year or so they eventually turn out pretty darn good.

I did do a WE bourgeron rouge (red burgundy) and decided to experiment by throwing in an additional 3 cans of frozen Welch's concentrate. That was at first very similar to what you just described, kind of a sour bad alcohol taste. It took about 2 years in the bottle but now I'd consider it one of the best I have.

This is the french columbard , vino de vida kit that i added the sugar to and I think this was a definent bad thing to have done. It has a strong alcohol taste and a kind of vinagar flavor , no sweetness at all.

Vic, I did the same thing with an Orchard Breezin Green Apple Reisling. At the end of fermentation it tasted like rocket fuel and I thought about dumping it. I left it in a carboy for a few months, and now it is much mellower. By summer it will be pretty good. Give it time.

will adding some Welches white grage juice when i rack next time help with the flavor. I have stopped the fermentation and it is clear but bad.

It might but it will sweeten it. I personally would give it a few months.

I agree with Wade. You can add or sweeten in the far future. I would just let it agefor6 months. Everything will change in that time. You will be better suited to make adjustments at the end. I have made wines that were perfect that I do not like. But I have always found someone that did like it.

victank1 said:
will adding some Welches white grage juice when i rack next time help with the flavor. I have stopped the fermentation and it is clear but bad.

What do you mean by you stopped the fermentation? That is generally inadviseable. I know you added sugar and were worried about that, but trying to stop fermentation is inadviseable by home winemakers since it may resume fermentation when not wanted to.

I was going to ask this to but was called away by the boy screaming at his sister. Please tell us what you mean here.

I followed instructions and added the remaining chemicals after the 14 days. I suspose this stopped the fermentation. The bubbling had all but stopped on it's own anyway.

I believe most instructions use a terminology like, "After 14 days, verified by SG readings on two successive days"

ALWAYS use your hydrometer to determine when fermentation has ended.

Waldo, the SG reading was .099 and I re racked last night to get rid of sediment and had another little taste but this stuff is very sour .like vinegar

Vic, give it a couple of more weeks and recheck the SG. This is my thought on what's going on with the wine.
Colombard is fairly lite wine with a floral nose. I'm thinking the sugar addition threw the wine out of balanced and it's going to take some time for it to come around.
Unless it's infected you can always use it for cooking wine. If you have a good microscope around look at a sample, you can see the little buggers if there in there.

Jeff

Latest posts

Back