WineXpert Time to bottle-Question #2

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MN-Mike

Junior
Reaction score
If I have sediment in the carboy, should I rack before bottling? Also, that would give me a good opportunity to add the Meta-K.

If I do this and consequently stir things up a bit, should I wait a day or two before bottling?

Thanks again. This group is pretty funny to monitor. Probably because everyone is drinking wine while writng!

personnally i always filter before bottling.

help not to have deposit in the bottles later on.

but dont take chance... rack, wait 2 day and bottle.

This way in the 2 days if there is some floating object.. they will drop just before bottling

Edited by: david_québec

Is this the first K-Meta to be added or extra for long term storage???

Good question Bert.
If you have not stabilized yet, DO NOT rack the must. There needs to be sediment stirred up when stabilizing so that the finings have something to get hold of.

If you have already added the clearing agent then by all means rack and wait a couple of days before bottling. That will mean another top up of the racked wine to avoid oxidation.

Dont throw away the lees just yet. You may be able to get another very muddy bottle or two out of it that you can use to top up another batch.

If your wine is stable then I always filter to get the imperfections out and to make a nice end product with a great luster in the glass...I would make sure it is stable before you rack it off the lees.. I guess the question would be is What step are you on ? Are you at stabalizing and clearing because if you are you will need the lees in most kits for clearing...??

I have added the sulphite that came with the kit prior to this. However, since I plan to let this sit for a year, I had heard that it might be a good idea to add more before bottling.

I should have been clearer when I started..........I have already stabilized and clarified. I did a good job de-gassing at that time. It's been sitting for approx. 3 weeks since than and I'm planning to bottle this weekend.

Rack carefully off the sediment , stir in the extra K-meta and there is no problem with bottling right away.

We rack, rack and rack again till there is no more sediment...takes some extra time, but no one likes sediment in the bottle....

Latest posts

Back