Thursday night.

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So, on Thursday morning (at 1am) I awoke with intense pain. The wife rushed me to the hospital and it turns out I had passed a kidney stone. Serious agony!

They shot me full of pain killers. Once it took effect, I felt GREAT and started cracking jokes...

I declared that I was now kidney stoned! I Also said I would like to listen to a little Grateful Dead.

Told my wife that she didn't have give me a "Pain Relief" hit my over the head with a 2 X 4 after all.

When the nurse said that this is as close a man can get to experiencing child birth, I immediately turned to my wife and yelled "you did this to me!". I also thanked the nurse for the epidural.

This was at about 4am. These poor folks pulled the night shift and really lapped up a little humor. Although not initially lacking, I found that their concern and personal involvement was greatly improved as a result of a little humor. I will need to remember this in the future!

I passes an 11mm then 3 months later an 8 mm which was a piece of cake after the 11mm. Anyway they were able to determine the make up of the stone, Now I drink water with lemon juice in it, (or sheeter pee) lol, and Never drink tea. Which was rough as when working in the field I use to drink a large igloo cooler full daily. But by following those recommendations I have not had one since.

I "feel" your pain John! I passed a kidney stone myself several years ago while we were driving back home from a long 2 week road trip vacation. I paced back and forth all night in a hotel room wondering just what the heck was going on. Luckily I had carried enough "just in case meds" in my travel bag and after googling the problem we were able to make it back the rest of the way home the next day which was about 700 miles still…... Not fun but pain killers and Flowmax worked wonders. 48 hours later I was like a new man!

I too feel your pain. John. Kidney stones are not fun and passing one brings a tear to my eye... I passed a stone in my early twenties and I would have said it felt like I had been kicked by a horse. It is really great that you could offer those around you humor...

I feel your pain. I recently had a sonogram that showed another stone. i tried the lemon juice in water trick alternating with apple cider vinger in water and the pain/stone disapeared. :h

So, on Thursday morning (at 1am) I awoke with intense pain. The wife rushed me to the hospital and it turns out I had passed a kidney stone. Serious agony!

They shot me full of pain killers. Once it took effect, I felt GREAT and started cracking jokes...

I declared that I was now kidney stoned! I Also said I would like to listen to a little Grateful Dead.

Told my wife that she didn't have give me a "Pain Relief" hit my over the head with a 2 X 4 after all.

When the nurse said that this is as close a man can get to experiencing child birth, I immediately turned to my wife and yelled "you did this to me!". I also thanked the nurse for the epidural.

This was at about 4am. These poor folks pulled the night shift and really lapped up a little humor. Although not initially lacking, I found that their concern and personal involvement was greatly improved as a result of a little humor. I will need to remember this in the future!

Welcome to the club!
I have had so many that I have actually lost count.
The best is when they pass with a little pain.
The worst is when they get stuck and cause chaos.
I recall my worst one being 10MM x 7MM and shaped like a gourd. It cause lots of blood and the got stuck and created alot of pressure and pain, convulsing and suicidal thoughts. Did I mention the blood?
I went to ER, refused Morphine (just not my cup of tea) and was later operated on.

What I have had to explain to my non stone friends and those who are women is this: it is simple biology. Women are built for child birth, they can expand, I know I witnessed it twice. The Urethra does not!
Passing a stone is like if forcing a square peg through a triangle hole.

There is a women at work who has had 3 kids and KStones. She has indicated she would have 10 more kids before she would want a stone.

but since I come from a long like of Kidney Stone producers I have a lifetime of looking forward to them, I have had to change my diet and increase my water consumption. now they are less frequent.

AND BTW-I think the Grateful Dead is best listened to when Stone Sober. I have conducted numerous bench trials to prove my hypothesis.
but give me some advance notice and I will send some sweet bootlegs for your next bought!
:se

Yow, I know that hurt! Time to acidify the body pH, John old boy! Lemon juice in water works well. Get in the habit of ordering that at restaurants and drinking it at home. A tablespoon of cider vinegar in a glass of water every day helps too, but I much prefer the lemon!

Stones should become more infrequent. If you do pass them, they will be small and broken up. That's how mine go. You can get pH strips for saliva to determine your body pH. It just needs to be slightly on the acid side.

If you have ever had gout, just start drinking cherry juice concentrate in a glass of water every morning, and you will help remedy them both.

Last edited:
I have been having stones now at 3 year intervals since the early 90's. They say some folks are just stone makers. I have altered the diet and all, and nothing gets rid of them. The last one a bit over 2 years ago probably saved my life. The CT scan to locate the stone found my follicular lymphoma. The stone came out with yet another "basket extraction" in a matter of hours, the followup with chemo has been for years.
The stents they put in after the extraction are no fun, especially the ones that are two feet long and route their way to the kidney. That is an awful feeling when they remove that "screen door spring".
I had to laugh the last stone when they removed the stent. I had a different doctor removing it as my regular urologist was having his removed at the same time. LOL

At last count I have had 3 basket extrations of stones in the kidney, the last extraction had made progress to about 6 inches before the bladder. Then there have been the smaller stones which passed on their own like John describes and one larger one broken up with a Lithotripsy.

My wife has had one stone and said it was worse than the three boys we have had with heads the size of a basketball.

Glad you are feeling better John!

Latest posts

Back