thirsty...

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello my wine is in the clearing stage and it keeps sucking in k-meta solution in the air lock. Is this normal? should i be worried?

It keeps sucking if from the airlock into your wine? Or wine into your airlock? If it is sucking the solution from your airlock into the wine lower the level of solution in your airlock. Edited by: smurfe

Sometimes this happens when a low pressure front(storm) comes through your area, Like Smurf says, reduce the amount of solution in your airlock.

Not to stray too far off topic here, but why is there k-meta in the airlock? I thought water goes in there?

Lmcirig,

Putting K-Meta solution in the airlock instead of water is just an added precaution most of us use. If water alone is used and something (bacteria, bug, etc)gets into the water and this falls into the wine you can have problems. If you opt for K-Meta and this happens, you have a sanitizing agent to take care of it and it won't hurt the wine either.

PC

You can also put vodka or everclear in there. Seems wasteful to me, but some do that.

I4dinner,

I hear ya!!!!We are inSE Wisconsin as well and we have to put waterwings on the dog just so he can "take care of business".
Do you use 3pc airlocks or the bubble type? they usually have a small line about half way up on the side...fill it to there. we use H2O during the primary stage then switch to k-meta when fermentation is done.

Where is WI are you?

Yeah, where in Wisconsin are you? I grew up in SE Wisconsin and am glad I'm not there right now.

chevyguy65 said:
I4dinner,

I hear ya!!!! We are in SE Wisconsin as well and we have to put waterwings on the dog just so he can "take care of business".
Do you use 3pc airlocks or the bubble type? they usually have a small line about half way up on the side...fill it to there. we use H2O during the primary stage then switch to k-meta when fermentation is done.

Where is WI are you?

good old kenosha

Latest posts

Back