Thinking outside the box

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lori,

When I did the Amarone kit with Joe, I only added 1 Tbsp of tannins and only 1 lb of raisins in the secondary. I like your recipe a little better. I will incorporate more tannins, at different stages, in the future and the same with raisins.

Thanks for the recap.

different ????????????????

THE recipe she followed was from my SANGIOVESE kit, way different then the AMARONE, so their fore the differences in displacements and timing of ingredients ,don't be confused how did yours turn out?

GIVE us a description of your wine?

Here we are just a little over two months after bottling and my Mezza Luna White is almost gone. I only have 3 bottles left and had to hide those from my family. This WE kit was my first one and I used one of JoesWine tweaked by adding tannin and raisins. I also added a few Plumeria flowers just for kicks. It turned out so well, I am now scrambling to decide what white to do next. The oak is medium and it is very fruit forward. Initially it was a little heavy in body but that has smoothed out to perfection.
Here's a brief recap on the process. I would do it again in a heartbeat.

MLW 8_18-B.jpg

MLW 8_19-A.jpg

Mezza 9_2-13-D.jpg

PMezza-9_2-13-A.jpg

MLWbottle924a.jpg

MLWbottle924f.jpg

WE_MLW-A_8_12-A.jpg

WE_MLW-B_8_12.jpg

Lonestar Lori's Wines

Hello,
We wanted to post our reviews of Lori's two wines that we were so lucky to receive the other day.

First wine: Her Moscato
Fresh, crisp, fruity (almost like a green apple taste). Very pleasant to drink. :)

Second Wine: Italian Sangiovese
This was pretty much identical to our Italian Sangiovese. If everyone remembers, she started her kit after we started our tutorial on this wine kit and she followed the tutorial. Her's turned out pretty close. Only difference it the backend you could taste that it was still a young wine. Overall, it was very nice! It was interesting to try this wine to compare to ours since we are over 2000 miles apart.

Kudos to you, Lori! Thank you again for sending them to us to enjoy!

Kind Regards and Happy Holidays,

Joe and Katie
(Joeswine and Neviawen)

Lori's Wines (2).jpg

Thanks for the nice comments. I am having a hard time with the Moscato. I thought if I made a sweet wine myself, maybe I could drink it. Not so much. I am just not a sweet wine drinker. I have some sister-in-laws that will enjoy it.
The Sangiovese was a BIG hit at our holiday family gatherings. Once again, I had to hide some bottles so I can let her age.

Lori. Did you add extra tanin to the mezza luna like joes Sangiovese???

According to my notes I added 1 TBL of tannin when I added the raisins.
You're going to like this kit. Me and my family have really enjoyed it. I'm considering ordering another. I think it might benefit from some zest. I'm thinking grapefruit. Maybe Joe can weigh in on this one, He tried the finished product.

Adding flavors

ADDING ZEST TO A WHITE IS VERY EASY AND CAN BE QUITE UPLIFTING TO THE OVERALL BACKGROUND AND BRIGHTNESS ON THE WINE,USUALLY THE ZEST OF 2 GRAPEFRUITS TO A 6 GALLON MIX IS ENOUGH TO GIVE IT A GOOD BALANCE BETWEEN ACIDITY AND SWEETNESS OR DRYNESS DEPENDING ON THE STYLE OF YOUR WINE AND HOW YOU WANT IT TO FINISH OUT.OK? :db

Thanks joe. Been wanting to zest. I have a cab/merlot sitting on raisins and tannins.

Thinking outside of the box!

Might try the Sangiovese next. I've never had a Sangiovese so I really don't know how they taste.

I think it might benefit from some zest. I'm thinking grapefruit. Maybe Joe can weigh in on this one, He tried the finished product.

What about some orange or tangerine zest or why not mix the two ?:db

Zesting in the beginning

ZESTING GETTING STARTED..:se

Extracts​
All recipes are measured out with one quart Ball Jar.​
Citrus Extract: Consists of The zest of 2 limes, the zest of 2 lemons, and the zest of 2 grapefruits, and the remainder is ever Kleer.
Coffee Extract: fill Ball jar up with roasted coffee beans (your choice), fill the balance of the Ball jar with Ever Kleer.
Cinnemon Extract- ~approx. 12 sticks per Ball jar, top up with Ever Kleer
Lemon extract- The Zest of 12 lemons per jar, top up with Ever Kleer
Orange extract: The zest of approx.. 8 oranges per jar. Valenzia oranges work best but any type will do.
Key Lime Extract: 1 bag of key limes with the limes cut in half.
Vanilla Extract: 6 Madagascar Vanilla Beans, sliced length wise. Put all 6 in a ball jar and top off with Ever Kleer.
At the end of one full year its best to pour the extract through some sort of filter (I strain mine through a coffee filter) and add some additional zest of the same type back to it and top it off with Ever Kleer.
Making Simple Syrup​
Basic mix consists of : 2 qt. ball jars of cane sugar to 1 qt. ball jar of water.
Process:
Place measured out sugar into a metal pot. Add the water to the mix (It’s a 2 to 1 ratio-mix). Bring the mixture to a boil, constantly stirring from the beginning of the process to the end until the liquid is clear. Have the ball jars already sanitized and ready for filling. Bring the simple syrup TO the jar and and funnel it into them (make sure your funnel is clean, too!) to fill them up. It will be hot so be very careful. Place the lids and metal rings onto the jars to seal them.
Note: we put the very hot liquid into the jars while it is hot so as it cools it creates a vacuum seal to keep the mixture good. Done this way, your simple syrup will have a very long shelf life.
Zesting Made Simple​
Zesting is the process of the removal of the color of most citrus fruits and other entities that are oil extracted (for their essence). We use a micro plane zester to accomplish our end. See pictures. (If you do not have a micro plane zester you can use a fine cheese grater (Your goal is to get the color off the fruit, not the pitch, which is the "white stuff" underneath the very top layer of the fruit.)

What about some orange or tangerine zest or why not mix the two ?:db

Mmm.. I Dunno. I guess the finished product kind of had grapefruit hints. Maybe tangerine, but I'm not so sure about orange. Thats a pretty strong one.

Understanding the power

:wyONE NEEDS TO UNDERSTAND AND HAVE WORKED WITH THE POWER OF ZEST,LIKE A GOOD BAKER IT'S ALL ABOUT CHEMICAL BALANCE ,WITH US IT'S ACIDITY ,ACHOLO AND FLAVOR ,THE THREE NEED TO BE COMPATIBLY AND COMPLIMENTARY ,THAT'S NOT TO SAY YOU CAN'T EXPERIMENT WITH A FINISHED,, 6 GALLON BATCH ,WITH DIFFERENT ZEST EXTRACTS:EX. ORANGE CAN BE VERY POWERFUL AND DEMANDING,LEMON CARRIES WITH IT ACIDITY TO COMPLIMENT,GIVES BRIGHTNESS OR CAN BE VERY HARSH TO WHITES,GRAPEFRUIT ON THE OTHER HAND HAS THE ACIDITY OF THE LEMON BUT NOT AS MUCH BITE AND TENDS NOT TO BE THE HEAVY IN A MIX, VERY GOOD FOR WHITES ,JUST FITS IN.:HB

TANGERINES AND ORANGES ARE A STAND ALONE AND CAN BE THE BOSS OR THE UNDER BOSS DEPENDING ON THEIR APPLICATION KNOWING WHEN AND HOW MUCH IS ALL A MATTER OF TRIAL AND ERROR.HAVING FUN WITH OUR HOBBY IS WHAT SHOULD TAKE PRECEDENCE ,JUST MY OPPION......................:wy MOST GOOD SANGRIAS ARE RED AND ORANGE BASE BUT THE LAST TIME I WAS IN ARIZONA AT MY COUSINS SHE MADE A WHITE SANGRIA THAT KNOCK MY SOAKS OFF,,,,SEE WHAT I MEAN,MAKE IT YOUR OWN ,BE CREATIVE,"THINK OUTSIDE THE BOX":try

P1030099.jpg

P1030101.jpg

P1030103.jpg

P1030111.jpg

P1030115.jpg

P1030113.jpg

P1030112.jpg

P1030100.jpg

Last edited:
New Kit! Spangnols RQ Shiraz Viognier

2014. New year, new wine kits to experiment with. Yay!
This is my photo essay of the RQ-Australia Shiraz Viognier. My first ever LE kit.
I was intrigued by the combination of both a red and white varietal. Especially with Viognier.
The description from the manufacturer is “Australia Shiraz Viognier - RQ
This wine begins with aromas of cherry, blackberry, and violets as well as hints of pepper, vanilla, and chocolate that integrate through the palate.”
Did someone say chocolate? I’m in. Here is where we are so far.

RQ14shirazviognier.jpg

Starting the kit. Jan. 9, 2014

The contents. Beside the usual chems, there is a bag of dried grape skins and TWO different bags of oak chips. Unfortunately, they didn't label what type.

RQshiraz_a.jpg

Adding the bentonite and juice:

RQshiraz_pg1a.jpg

Top up with water to 6 gal and meausre SG:

RQshiraz_pg2.jpg

Time for the oak chips:

RQshiraz_pg3.jpg

The bag of dried grape skins which also contained some seeds and a few small stems. (must be the real thing). These needed to be rehydrated first using the provided bag and adding about 3 cups of hot water for 10 mins. :

RQshiraz_pg4.jpg

After letting the dried grape skins get juicy once again, they were added to the primary and stirred well. Once the must temp came down to 73ºF, the yeast was sprinkled on top. NO STIRRING after adding yeast:

RQshiraz_pg5.jpg

Last, we cover the primary with a clean cotton dishtowel, (I like the floursack towels from Target). Leave it undisturbed and wait at least 24 for the ferment to start. This batch started fermenting in about 18 hours at 74ºF:

RQshiraz_pg6.jpg

Now the waiting and wonderful smells begin. I will measure the SG daily to be sure everything is on track.

Last edited:
I wish I had a wife like Lori...:i as she is so into the wine making.....nice...

The color looks dark, plus I looked at finewines and didn't see this varietal listed....hmmm

Well there you have it. I'm showing my newbie-ness again. lol.

Well, I wouldn't go that far. In any event, if you are a newbie (like me), you are a newbie in possession of a RQ kit (unlike me)!! :try

Hey, do they tell you anywhere in the literature with the kit what the Shiraz vs. Viognier percentages are? I did not see this online anywhere. In the Rhone region, they generally use ~15% of the white grape.

Latest posts

Back