Things to do during MLF?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MontyPython

Noob Vintner
Reaction score
I started Malolactic Fermentation on my French blend a few weeks ago, right at the end of primary fermentation (1.01SG).

It's been quietly sitting in my basement wine room at about 62º. Very tiny bubble are floating to the top, and I get the occasional *blip* from the airlock.

I was told by the local supply shop that it should take about 2 months to go through it. I did buy a test kit so I can see if it's finish (at least that is the plan). I figured I would check about 6 weeks in to make sure it hasn't stalled.

Other than that, is there any other attention I need to give to it?

I haven't tested the SO2 levels (though I actually just grabbed a test kit for that as well). That necessary?

Happy to let it just be, but want to make sure I'm not missing anything.

I'm considering doing a second oaking an another few months aging, after MLF is don'e But I didn't want to add any staves to the carboy too early. I'll have to remove wine to keep the carboy from overflowing, and once I remove the staves, I'd want to bottle since there will be considerably less volume.

Cheers!
Steve

You should stir it a couple times a week to keep the bacteria in good contact with the wine.

I doubt it will take that long. Usually 3 weeks or so is about it. And you don't want it to go longer than having all the malic metabolized because you need to get it properly sulfited. SO2 levels need to be low for MLF. Most people try to have no more than 30 PPM. One of the guys in our wine club ended up with heavy oxidized wine because he let the MLF go for 2 months--way too long.

There's another tip on MLF's. If you're a big fan of big, buttery taste, then you want to rack off the bacteria AS SOON as your test shows all the malic is converted. Then sulfite it. You'll retain more of the lactic acid taste that way.

Don't use sorbate on it. Technically, some say you can sorbate if the test shows all the malic is converted, but it's still a risk because you can't be totally sure it all been metabolized.

You should do MLF's away from your winery so that the bacteria doesn't become resident in the winery. Otherwise, you risk having all wines go thru spontanious MLF.

Good tips. I'll give it a stir, and give my S02 test a whirl and see what it comes up with. Also, as I understand it will affect the pH... is that something I need to monitor through MLF, or just test at the end to see if I need to adjust before aging?

I'm looking for a smoother, more drinkable Red, then the sharper, less dimensional reds that have been coming out of most of the kits. Not too buttery, but definitely less bite.

So, with that said, once I feel like the MLF is more or less complete. I rack and sulfite it so that it's safer to age?

Thanks.

Yes--an MLF is a pretty unprotected thing because of low sulfite. So be sure you have enough sulfite depending on your PH.(after it's done)

Yep--MLF's will reduce acid and make the wine more robust and polished. You may need to take a TA and PH to see where your numbers end up, and adjust as you see fit. Wait until the end of MLF. You don't want to subject it to more oxygen than necessary, with the low sulfites. And when you stir--DO IT GENTLE. Don't whip it up. You want to keep the injection of O2 as low as possible. Yes--when MLF finishes, rack it and sulfite.

I agree with the oaking too. That gives it even another dimension. Good luck.

All great information from Turock, WE AGREE!! Hopefully you didn't buy the accuvin tests. The are very hard to read and inaccurate from my experience. Get a chromatography kit. They are easy to complete, accurate and easy to understand. You'll also get a lot more tests out of the kit then you will with Accuvin.

62 is a little on the cool side for MLB. It could take 3 months or more at that temp depending on the MLB strain. I would warm it up to at least 65 IMHO.

62 is a little on the cool side for MLB. It could take 3 months or more at that temp depending on the MLB strain. I would warm it up to at least 65 IMHO.

This was my thought also as I read the posts.

You keep mentioning testing S02. You can do that before adding mlf to see if it is at an alevel to allow the mlb to work. It needs to be low to allow the mlb to do it's job. No need to test it once you introduce the bacteria and it is working. When confirmed it is done, then test and adjust to safe levels.

I missed the 62 degrees---I agree that might be too cool. Look at the details for the MLB you're using. They all state what the temp. limits are, and you want to stay within that range.

MLB is sorta the "Goldilocks" of wine making. They like their environment not too hot, nor not too cold, but a just right ~68 degrees for the most part. +/- a few degrees on either side of course!

A picture is worth a thousand words they say. And a completed MLF with chromatography results is worth as much if not more in gallons of wine.....

6a00e39823b237883301156f2b8990970c-500wi.jpg

Thanks for all the helpful feedback. Next time I will definitely consider a chromotography test kit. Anyone post a link on here to a preferred kind?

Def had to warm up the wine as it did very little at 62deg for 2 weeks. I brought it upstairs and at ~66 it went through it very efficiently. 5 weeks total for this batch. pH is holding around 3.6.

Brought it back into the cellar and added a few 1" French Rhine oak stave slices and one American oak. Been floating those in the for a week and it's taking on some more dimension.

Next I guess I just stabilize it and then clear like normal?

Latest posts

Back