Things floating in my Skeeter Pee (Clearing Question)

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PrSlater

Junior
Reaction score
Im still pretty new to wine making and i decided to try my hand at my first batch of Dragons Blood skeeter pee. I pitched the yeast instead of using a slurry and all went well in terms of fermentation. after stabilizing with k-meta and k- sorbate i have allowed the wine to clear for about 3 weeks. I didnt use a clearing agent i was just gonna let time do its thing. It has been clearing well and ive been getting really excited to rack and taste soon, but today i noticed that there were little white clumps floating in the carboy. nothing too huge but they are small little specs that seem to be rising and falling. it looks sort of like the yeast has started fermenting again but never having seen this before im not sure. there is no bubbling at the surface of the wine or in the airlock. Has anyone ever experienced this before? im worried becuase there is more headspace than i should have at the top and im worried that i may have spoiled the batch... any comments would be greatly appreciated

I wouldn't think you would get secondary fermentation after three weeks! Top it up now. You don't want any head space. Use water if you must. I haven't had one go active that far in. You might have some CO2 moving things around. Try a puff test. Take some wine, up in a small container, cover with your hand and shake. Listen for the "puff" of air when you release your hand. You'll know, if it's a bunch. A little is no concern. If it has refermented somehow, you'll need to let it go dry---all the way. That means checking the SG and rechecking every day until it has stabilized (same reading) for three days.

Maybe someone else can give more help. Like I said, I haven't had this happen to me.

i can only say that at times, if my sorbate didn't "fully" dissolve prior to adding it into my wine, i have had small spwcks of that have a tendency to float around a bit, especially if there is still some co2 present, or it will drop to the bottom but then start floating if the carboy is disturbed....

Thank you both for the replies, they are greatly appreciated. Dangerdave I bought a 3 Gallon carboy to rack into and a 1 gallon for the rest. this should help with the headspace... i was just trying to save a buck by not buying the bottle... g8keeper I didnt think about the carboy being disturbed, i may have to do some sleuthing around the house to see who may possibly have moved a carboy. thanks again, i will update.

Latest posts

Back