The Virtues of Patience or A Story for New Winemakers

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Robie, I love analogies and yours hit the mark! It gives me a little better idea of what I can expect in the end... But also what to keep in mind when tasting at the next racking/sulfiting... Thank you for the insight.

I'm really not a patient person either and I know that good wine requires "time", so the 30 day wines are perfect for me. I said that I would try to hide a bottle out of sight to try to let it age. I guess that's why I have about 4 batches going now so that I can take a bottle from each batch and allow it to age. If I stop giving away so much wine, I guess I would have enough bottles to set aside but I do enjoy sharing my experiment with others.

My next wine will be the DB and skeeter pee. I'm so excited about those.

I think it is a lot easier to be patient after you have been doing wine making for a while because you have plenty of your wine to drink while you are waiting for the wine to age. I bottled my first batch within the first 6 weeks of starting fermentation but with each new batch I am more and more patient because I already have something finished I can drink.

I have noticed over the past 4 months my first batch has gotten better as it ages but it is easier to avoid trying to bottle my newer batches because I can drink my first couple batches that I already bottled.

I have patience BUT not discipline! Soooo I have some 18 gal store age totes labeled 2013, 2014, 2015 etc. when I didn't have a wine inventory I actually filled the 2012 tote & duct taped it closed!! That was wine to be drank in 2012. now I have wine racks full & it's a lot easier to let the wine age. It truly DOES get better with age. Amarones 3years old & only 5 bottles out of 30 are missing. Put at least a few bottles of whatever you make away to age. Roy

In spite of my early post on this thread I'm becoming a believer. Instead of bottling my MM White Zin as per instruction sheet schedule I started bulk aging [think about two weeks ago]. Low and behold what I thought was a reasonable cleared wine has cleared noticeable more in just ~ 2 weeks of aging! I'll wait another two weeks and rack and then another month or two before bottling.

Thanks guys...

Latest posts

Back