The Ugly Vacuum Pump

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedNeckWino

Reaction score
The Ugly Arse vacuum pump works great! And with 4 rubber legs mounting it, this thing is quiet. In the picture its mounted in a poplar box because of the exposed over-sized fan. Don't like the idea of the 7 month old son getting his fingers in it. There is going to be a side on this thing and holes bored in the ends for air flow. Regulator and gauge are on the way and will be mounted on the side with a light switch for a power on/off switch. Kinda nice to be able to degas with vacuum instead of a spoon! Oh, and after 10 min of running, its cool to the touch.
101_2242.jpg
101_2243.jpg

Last edited:
Ok nice job but where did you come up with it tell us more about it

Very Nice.

If the ugly duckling turned into a swan, what did the ugly pump turn into???

So far, I would say a back saving tool is what it became. I hate moving full carboys.
And....After I posted last night about the degassing, Murrfy's Law took over. Sitting in the living room playing with the son, I hear POP........PSSSSSSSS. A previously bottled wine popped the cork. And 2 others were half pushed out. This is gonna be REAL nice for degassing. And yes, I pulled the corks on the rest of that batch and degassed. That was my cranberry pomegranate raspberry. Only like 10 bottles left.

As for where I got it....http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200533799099&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT
Manards had regulators but not vacuum gauges. So I ordered the same thing you see in a doctors office on the wall.

Last edited:
Or....PM this guy that chimed in on another thread as the guy that sold it to me. president89

Very nice but I don't see a guage, regulator or reservoir tank on it. With no control or safety measures you could end up sucking wine into the vacuum pump or worse yet implode a carboy which is far worse then just a bottle. You're on the right track and with just a few more doolars you could be 100%.

Reservoir Tank is on hand. Its a vacuum canister from my food saver. Even ready to install with the fittings bonded in, soon as the gauge gets here from Florida. Its coming by way of snail mail. For testing the degassing setup, i turned it on for about 45 seconds, then off. On...Off...you get the idea. Will be nice when all the parts get here, cleaned and sterilized.

Last edited:
I would not use it again until the gage, regulator and overflow are installed. If liquid gets into the pump, it probably is done. As to imploding, I doubt it but can't prove it. I have for a short period of time pulled 27 inches on a 5 gal carboy with no problem. But, I won't do it again. :b

What is the purpose of that fan, to cool off the unit itself? If not then I would just remove the fan blade.

Back