The Rhubarb Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm jealous y'all have access to Rhubarb for free! It's too hot in Texas to grow it, but a couple grocery stores sell it - $4/pound! I don't buy it too often. :(

I'm jealous y'all have access to Rhubarb for free! It's too hot in Texas to grow it, but a couple grocery stores sell it - $4/pound! I don't buy it too often. :(

Yikes that would be a little pricy. Next time we take a car to Coppell and I have some in the freezer I'll bring you some! Just not sure when we are headed that way again. But maybe this fall to see the grandson in his marching band.

Great looking color of that 100. How's the taste?

I filled 32 3/4 bottles this morning of the Rhubarb/Huckleberry after making sure my 1/2 cup of sugar back sweetening tasted good.

My all Rhubarb was racked, stabilized and is now being cleared with Bentonite. It's looking good and I'll probably bottle it Monday or Tuesday.

Getting all my gear freed up for the Elderberry that looked good this past Monday. I'll possibly be harvesting the first 5 gallon bucket's worth in maybe 3 weeks.

The all Rhubarb (on the right) is clearing and has been back sweetened. I didn't have any tannin so I mashed up some lemons and a lime, and the pop is there. If I was better equipped I'd let this rest for a month or two, but the fruit is abundant and this carboy needs to get to work on the next 6 gallon batch.

From the right, Rhubarb (2b bottled), Rhubarb (after 1 racking), Apricot (fermenting up a storm after 2 days in the Carboy). And a 4th, Apricot will be alongside later this morning. Life is good, and better with homemade wine. :r

WineBottlesNeeded 002 (1024x768).jpg

This batch was started in November from rhubarb that was stored in the freezer. Those 100 bottles are our dry rhubarb. We bottled another 320 bottles of the same batch that was sweetened to 5% rs. I have already collected another 500 pounds of rhubarb this year for another batch. I'll probably start that in August.

Yesterday I added some Tannin, and Wow on the flavor! Bottled up 29 worth this morning, a bit early, but I need the carboy for another batch. All in all, I'd say it's my best wine to date. I sure have learned a lot since my first Elderberry. With my Elderberry, I was only following directions, with little understanding of why. I am starting to make decisions based on knowledge and experience. Tis a good thing! :D

I made a bannana rhubarb blueberry last summer was wonderfull I only had a small amount of rhubarb this year i have quite a bit more plan to make more.

I also have a question read on the internet about rhubarb being poison when picked at the wrong time. Me being new to rhubarb any information would be great. I know about the leaves and all. Thanks

Here's the info I know about rhubarb: Don't pick it if it's been frozen (late frost), and many people make a big deal about the oxalic acid. The acid can be removed from the juice of the rhubarb, but the only really concerning part is the leaves and roots. As you know, they are poisonous.

Check this little blog for a bit of info: http://www.gettystewart.com/7-things-you-need-to-know-about-rhubarb/

Thanks so much for info going to try the honey rhubarb chicken too Need to get more honey. :)

I made a bannana rhubarb blueberry last summer was wonderfull I only had a small amount of rhubarb this year i have quite a bit more plan to make more.

care to share that recipe? It just sounds too interesting to not try! I have lots of rhubarb this year! YEA!

Have you made rhubard mead?

I think I mentioned that I've done a rhubarb-strawberry version which is pretty good (it was my very first mead).

I'm in the process of de-acidifying about 2 gallons of pure rhubarb juice right now, for wine or mead. TBC on that!

Blueberry bannana rhubarb wine 1 gal
First I didnt have much rhubarb and i think my goal was to have 5lbs of fruit.
All my fruit was frozen.
I took to 10 oz bgs of blueberries 1.5 lbs of rhubarb added 1.5 lbs of sugar to them let it sit most of the day to draw out the juice. Put in frig overnight. Next day i cut three frozen over ripe bannans put in mesh bag added to 6 gal water bring to boil. Simmer for 35 min.
I added juice from blueberry rhubarb sugar mix to the primary.
i pulled bannana bag out put in primary added all the other fruit to the bag and added to primary poured the cooked bannana water to this along with 3/4 strong 2nd brew blk tea. Another lb of sugar.
Added pectic waited a day then added campton waited a day then added yeast and nutrient.
I had to add water to adjust to 1.09.
I also oaked it once i put into secondary. I had to top it off quit a bit so i used a sweet wine i didnt care for it was very dry so the two worked well together.
This year i will increase it for the overflow or more it was very good.

I think I mentioned that I've done a rhubarb-strawberry version which is pretty good (it was my very first mead).

I'm in the process of de-acidifying about 2 gallons of pure rhubarb juice right now, for wine or mead. TBC on that!

I've never "de-acidify" my rhubarb juice. I've made 2 batches of wine and like my results, but could always try for "better" How do you do that and what is the purpose?

Back