The Rhubarb Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Didnt see any thing about rhubarb the dogwood wine was interesting.

Reading the rhubarb de-acidfing article now im undecided if i should go that route or not. Good read.

I have never done deacidification on rhubarb wine and it comes out great using my protocol.

If it's not letting any secrets out - what is your general method @GreginND? I'm hoping to get down to your place one day soon (in Raelene time) and try/purchase a few bottles of your wines. Can't wait!

Just took a little more than a quarter ton of rhubarb out of the freezer to defrost for my next batch. WOOHOO! Good times.

CLNQ5GiUMAAa4qE.jpg

500 lbs. *** Gasp *** And I thought my 30lbs was a lot.

I did two 6 gallon batches of Rhubarb, one fresh the other frozen. The Frozen was quite tart, (more Rhubarb flavored?), is this your experience also, and is this what you want and why you freeze the Rhubarb? Or is it just preservation till you can get to it? That was my reason for the freeze.

I like to freeze it because I can press out more juice after it's thawed. Dilution 50:50 pressed juice:water usually provides a must balanced for acid.

Do you ever get the urge to lick the outside of the metal drum? Or the inside for that matter!
Mmmmmm rhubarb flavoured popsicles...

:a1

I did not know what Greg was saying because of the errant smiley. I believe he was saying to use equal parts water and pressed juice (where I have inserted a space to fix the smiley problem):

I like to freeze it because I can press out more juice after it's thawed.
Dilution 50:50 pressed juice : water usually provides a must balanced for acid.

I want to juice rhubarb and can for later use. anyone ever do that how much water and sugar should i use?

I have never canned rhubarb juice, but was looking around on the internet, and if I did can some I would do this: http://www.bernardin.ca/pages/recipe_page/51.php?pid=172

When I can fruit I usually use a VERY light syrup, 4 cups of water to 1/4 cup sugar. I've tried using only water and don't like it as well as just using a light syrup. I know, this is a vegetable, but we treat it like a fruit!

Fabrictodyefor thank you for recipe i tryed that got 8 pints out of around one gal of ruhbarb tastes great almost like a concentrate I poored some in cup added same amount of water to it and drank tasted kinda like lemonade. Im going to try a different way on my next batch adding sugar letting it sit then press juice. Then i will heat up and can.

Another 30lbs of Rhubarb now in the fermentation bucket. My Rhubarb source is going to sell me some bulbs next April. I need to get the soil started, and nail me together some lumber for a raised garden bed. I'm thinking a 4x6 should be plenty of room for a hell of a lot of Rhubarb. :db

I have a 5x5 and have only four plants in it and they fill it up they get really big one is close to horse raddish in bed next to it and being crouded out and is not happy.I will not get 30 lbs from it. You may want a bigger garden than a 4x6

Back