The Rhubarb Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Isn't this a little on the low alcohol side? I could be wrong, but I thought wine had to be at least 10% alcohol in order to "preserve" itself. The k-meta will help with that, but...that is really low.

Maybe, and it isn't done yet. Still in the carboy.

1/2 a percent can't make that much difference, and will likely be drank before a year after it is bottled.

I'm just really impressed as it was started about 3 weeks ago.

Last edited:
The hydro thing?

Racked and did the Hydro thing on the recent Rhubarb. It is clearing up nicely, and from the hydro readings it ought to be ready for bottling soon.

So what is "the hydro thing" ?? I really need to read up on clearing.

So what is "the hydro thing" ?? I really need to read up on clearing.

I realized early on I would be making a lot of wine, so I bought the one liter size of Kieselsol (15ml) and chitosan (50ml) , which is Superkleer in bulk, just had to do the math as the directions on the bottles are not for 6 gallon batches of wine! However there are many ways to "clear" your wine. I think which type of wine makes a difference. I am getting ready to start a blackberry wine, with little or no water and the thread giving directions on this uses bentonite to help clearing as many kits do. So much wine so little time to learn it all!!!

I realized early on I would be making a lot of wine, so I bought the one liter size of Kieselsol (15ml) and chitosan (50ml) , which is Superkleer in bulk, just had to do the math as the directions on the bottles are not for 6 gallon batches of wine! However there are many ways to "clear" your wine. I think which type of wine makes a difference. I am getting ready to start a blackberry wine, with little or no water and the thread giving directions on this uses bentonite to help clearing as many kits do. So much wine so little time to learn it all!!!

I've learned a lot this year. Big lesson, after learning to use the Hydrometer, is use more sugar. 10lbs always seemed right to me. Comes in a 10lbs bag, cost $6, for 6 gallons, makes 30 bottles of wine, 20c a bottle. Easy to calculate. :D

But the wine is weak so 10lbs bag, + a 4lbs bag, seems easy too... For next year...

So Greg, is the pink from the rhubarb? Or did you add a little something red? (raspberry, other berry) I had the impression that plain rhubarb would lose all red/pink color. Your experience?

Yes the pink is from the rhubarb. This batch has 80% of the rhubarb the dark red all the way through variety. It does bleach out once you add sulfites. Most rhubarb wine will lose any red color. But this one seems to be holding on to a bit of the pink.

mine stays pink...partially due to the raspberries. However most all my rhubarb is red clear through, so that helps. My second batch this summer, however, was primarily rhubarb that was green all the way through. The second batch is already not as pink! I do plan on making a gallon or two of straight rhubarb with what is left in my patch, which is really red all the way through. Curious to see if that will hold the color!

Last batch of Rhubarb for this year has been bottled = 59 1/2 bottles. 6 weeks start to finish. Hydro hasn't moved in 2+ weeks, and the clearing wasn't going anywhere fast enough anymore.

Put a wee bit more Acid Blend in then I should have, but more pucker is better then less. :db

Master Vintner is seen taking a break. He gets all the label recognition for such little labor. :ft

RhubarbWine 001 (1024x768).jpg

RhubarbWine 002 (768x1024).jpg

RhubarbWine 003 (768x1024).jpg

Back