The Rhubarb Wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 50 more pounds in the freezer, but headed toward "town" this next week and thought I had better see if my friends needed me to pull more of their rhubarb. I have more I need to pick also. Could end up making my second batch soon! :)

For the first time I measured the sg prior to tossing the yeast. 1.0640 and 1.060. I've measured other batches afterwards and seen 0.96 and lower. All things being the same 14.x% alcohol. I didn't even know I was really making real wine. I guess I am. Good to know. :)

For the first time I measured the sg prior to tossing the yeast. 1.0640 and 1.060. I've measured other batches afterwards and seen 0.96 and lower. All things being the same 14.x% alcohol. I didn't even know I was really making real wine. I guess I am. Good to know. :)

I would say you are making wine that is about 9%. You lower SG is surely not 0.960, but rather 0.996. (Hydrometers do not even go down as low as 0.960.)

growing rhubarb

Montana WG, I agree that a 4x6 raised bed will not be a good option. The reason is that rhubarb is a heavy feeder of nutrients, a very heavy water user, and needs more than a 2x2 square because of growth habit. Also be aware that as a perennial, this plant will take 2 years from divisions to produce, and you should always leave at least 2-3 stalks after harvest to maintain plant health.
If you have some space on plain ground, this is probably a better option thAn a raised bed. It likes well drained soil, and doesn't need to be babied. Don't over-prepare or amend the site-- just give the division a foot square and 6" deep area of turned soil. You can add some organic matter if your soil is very sandy, but this is not a fussy plant.

Laurel

Montana WG, I agree that a 4x6 raised bed will not be a good option. The reason is that rhubarb is a heavy feeder of nutrients, a very heavy water user, and needs more than a 2x2 square because of growth habit. Also be aware that as a perennial, this plant will take 2 years from divisions to produce, and you should always leave at least 2-3 stalks after harvest to maintain plant health.
If you have some space on plain ground, this is probably a better option thAn a raised bed. It likes well drained soil, and doesn't need to be babied. Don't over-prepare or amend the site-- just give the division a foot square and 6" deep area of turned soil. You can add some organic matter if your soil is very sandy, but this is not a fussy plant.

Laurel

Thanks. Good information. I want to do it right, and will be reading up on how and where to transplant.

Rhubarb cultivation

I have found this website to be clear, concise, and accurate for my use: http://www.rhubarbinfo.com/ I am south of Jackson WY, about 6500' altitude, sandy well-drained soil. If you grow raspberries, your rhubarb will love the same conditions. Happy combo, right?? ;)

This is the third year for my rhubarb division: 1st year I just fed it and let it grow, 2nd year I cut just a few stalks, this year I have been harvesting 1/3 to 1/2 the stalks every 4-6 weeks, and feeding in between. Every time I feed I get new stalks.

The best stalks for baking and deserts are the long thin ones, but by all means cut all the huge wide ones for wine as the spring/summer moves along. I just keep adding them to the freezer. I will probably divide this clump in about a month-6 weeks, to increase production. Just need to find a good spot.

I will be making a 6gal batch of rhubarb/raspberry as soon as possible. You are on a much bigger scale than I, but please keep in touch & let me know how it's going. Laurel

Four 44 gallon brutes full of fermenting rhubarb goodness. The color is wonderful. Tried to get this going with 71b but it wouldn't start again. I had to make a starter with EC1118. ]

Looks great! I haven't had the smell of fermenting wine in a few months...your wonderful picture makes me want to get something going!

Four 44 gallon brutes full of fermenting rhubarb goodness. The color is wonderful. Tried to get this going with 71b but it wouldn't start again. I had to make a starter with EC1118. ]

Took 87 lbs of rhubarb out yesterday. I need to get it thawed so hubby can "press" it before he leaves next Wed to go hunting for a month. I couldn't wait until he comes back, because hopefully he'll have an elk with him! I had started a batch in June and did not write down which yeast I used. I was planning to use the 71B for this batch, but you mentioned you had trouble getting it started. I did use Go-fern on the last batch and it fermented to .994, but would have been helpful to myself if I wrote down which yeast I used. Anything else I should do if I want to use 71b for this batch? Thanks 4e, for all your help and shared knowledge.

I don't know why but I have struck out with 71b twice now. I used go ferm and Fermaid K in the must. I even tried to build a starter using the rhubarb must but it didn't take. I ended up using 1118. It works great.

If you want to make a go of 71b I would recommend building a starter up over 24 hours using some apple juice. I would hydrate with the go-ferm. After 30 minutes add apple juice and let it work for a couple of hours. Then slowly add your rhubarb must to that maybe 3 or 4 times over the next 12-24 hours. That way you should get a good starter working with even up to about 1/3 of your total rhubarb. Add that back to the bulk and it should go.

Well, 4e, didn't seem to get to your post till after things got going. I just warmed up a little of the must, to 80 degrees, let my yeast soften and pitched it. I did use 2 pkgs of 71-B. I had 8 gallons of just rhubarb juice, so was going to add 8 gallons of water to that, however I only have a 20 gallon Brute and as it began to fill up, I was uncertain I would have enough room for the sugar and the raspberries, so only added 6 1/2 gallons of water. Brought sg to 1.090, added 3 tsp of yeast energizer and 1 1/2 tsp goferm. Pitched the yeast 8/26, yesterday sg was 1.085 and this morning it is really bubbling nicely, must temp at 82 and sg at 1.056. So things seem to be moving right along! :db

Raspberry mix

I wish I could get my rhubarb going, but it will be a few weeks before I'll be able to care for it.

I'm planning to add raspberries for 1) color 2)volume 3)flavor and/or sweetness. I was thinking 4 parts rhubarb juice/1 part raspberry mash/juice by volume.

Any comments on these proportions?

I wish I could get my rhubarb going, but it will be a few weeks before I'll be able to care for it.

I'm planning to add raspberries for 1) color 2)volume 3)flavor and/or sweetness. I was thinking 4 parts rhubarb juice/1 part raspberry mash/juice by volume.

Any comments on these proportions?

One of my favorite wines was always RedAss Rhubarb from Prairie Berry in the Black Hills. Right on their bottle they use only 10% raspberries to 90% rhubarb. This is the 4th batch I have made and I have always stuck to this ratio and it has worked for me!

Racked and did the Hydro thing on the recent Rhubarb. It is clearing up nicely, and from the hydro readings it ought to be ready for bottling soon.

Starting SG: 1.060
Just Now SG: 0.990

So about 9.5% Alcohol.

I expect it to be on the weaker side since this is a 6 gallon batch and I only used 10lbs of sugar, whereas I believe my memory tells me that 13 to 14lbs would have been the correct amount of sugar to use.

Thanks ftdf, I would have thought more Raspberry. I take it you can still taste the Raspberry at only 10%? Cool!

Racked and did the Hydro thing on the recent Rhubarb. It is clearing up nicely, and from the hydro readings it ought to be ready for bottling soon.

Starting SG: 1.060
Just Now SG: 0.990

So about 9.5% Alcohol.

I expect it to be on the weaker side since this is a 6 gallon batch and I only used 10lbs of sugar, whereas I believe my memory tells me that 13 to 14lbs would have been the correct amount of sugar to use.

Isn't this a little on the low alcohol side? I could be wrong, but I thought wine had to be at least 10% alcohol in order to "preserve" itself. The k-meta will help with that, but...that is really low.

Thanks ftdf, I would have thought more Raspberry. I take it you can still taste the Raspberry at only 10%? Cool!

Yes, it is more the "after" taste. But I think 25% raspberries would overpower the rhubarb....but I could be wrong!

Back