The Life and Times of Waldo's Steamer/Juicer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Waldo you just made my blood sugar rise looking at the piee and cobler. I love to make wine and am a Diabetic & cant even drink it. I also love to cook also. Sure want one of them juicers, I also make jams and jellies. How did your Black berries do this year? I just planted 7 plants this spring and am trying to get plants off of them to plant next spring
Harry

I had jut planted mine this spring also Harry. I did get about 8 berries off the cuttings though. Hoping for a good crop next year though. I am sure enjoying my steamer and would reommend it to anyone.Edited by: Waldo

Waldo, what size is you steamer juicer, is it 12 quart or 8 quart?
Edited by: wadewade

Waldo I looked on EBAY and found the 12 qt. for about $50.00 plus shipping . Its the aluminum one. Gonna try to talk my sweet wifey to buy it for my birthday in November. I have mustang grapes , elderberry, pumkin, plums,peaches in the freezer. and dont know what else ins in there LOL

Harry

I was just looking at that but dont worry I'm not going to buy it yet. Maybe in a month or two.

PolishWineP said:
Waldo! You're killin' me here! I want pie and cobbler! I no longer want Sunday dinner, I just want desserts! (We need a slobbering mouth emoticon!)
smiley36.gif

I'm sorry pwp....perhaps I should go ahead and get a bottle of my Port headed your way
smiley36.gif

Take 3 gallon zip loc bags of previously steamed apples

Add 4 cups brown sugar, a generous helping of cinammon

A couple of cloves and resteam on Steamer/Juicer then

process through a strainer and viola...APPLESAUCE !!!

makingapplesauce.jpg

homeadeapplesauce.jpg

I have now got to find me one of those food mills that is on the stand. Holding that one in one hand

and processing the apples was quite a chore but I got it done.

That sieve should have come with a stand, mine came with a strong wire rack that holds it up and over a bowl...
I prefer The Foley Mill....

20060922_184824_5_foley_mill_Sm.jpg

Was lucky to come across a Stainless Steel pot that fits right under it...love it...

Good going, your going to love it....
smiley4.gif

Here is a photo of the stand for the colander cone seive...

20060923_072906_Picture_048_Sma.jpg

I never use the cone thing anymore....moved here with it, brought it into the old house, then moved it over here...just keep it on the shelf...just incase....It is a useful thing...but like the Foley better.....

If you go to 2nd hand stores and garage sales keep an eye open for a pot to fit the Foley...my honey had a Stainless pot when I met him...lucky me...
smiley4.gif

I use it for Tomato Juice, Tomato sauce, Snappy Tom [V/5 Juice] etc...I'm sure it would work for apple sauce, think I have done that in the past....
Looked on eBay like you did and see that they say you can use it to rice cooked potaoes...didn't know that. I am a garage sale 'Kitchen Gadget Junkie', I have a potato ricer, used it a few times...it make nice riced potatoes...they look like Spaghetti Squash...nice for a change. Will be interesting to see if the Foley will make riced potatoes...
smiley1.gif

Here are some photos of the Foley apart....the pot part and paddle are pretty undistructable....but the nut has a wire on it that scrapes the bottom of the mill, it can break.....as I found out in the past.....I got new [to me]/used ones at garage sales and traded up for ones with wires...sold the old ones at a friends junk store...

20060923_093149_Picture_058_Sma.jpg

20060923_093229_Picture_064_Win.jpg

So if you buy a used one on eBay ask the seller if the wire is there.....it does work without it, but it is nice to have it there.....
Good luck finding one...
smiley4.gif
Edited by: Northern Winos

*Northern said, "I am a garage sale 'Kitchen Gadget Junkie', I have a potato ricer, used it a few times...it make nice riced potatoes...they look like Spaghetti Squash...nice for a change. Will be interesting to see if the Foley will make riced potatoes..."*

Well now, ya know you gotta have one of them potato ricers to make the lefse...
smiley2.gif

And...after you run the potatoes through the potato ricer, you can mash them and the mashed potatoes have no lumps....love gadgets....they do take up a lot of space tho....
smiley4.gif

Of all the Norwegian foods we get to sample around these here parts of the country...I like Lefse and love those rolled up things with whipped cream and powdered sugar...you can have the Ludefisk [spelling?] a.k.a....rude-a-fish....
smiley11.gif
Edited by: Northern Winos

Waldo....juicing up here in the Northland too....

20060923_114207_Picture_066_Win.jpg

20060923_114236_Picture_067_Win.jpg

20060923_114303_Picture_069_Win.jpg

Apples are very small this year....too dry...and the tree overproduced....I was mean and didn't thin them this spring....so the poor little tree is hanging...
Using up some of the produce....just when you think your gaining on it.....the neighbor showed up with another box of watermelon....life is good!!!!

Northern Winos said:
And...after you run the potatoes through the potato ricer, you can mash them and the mashed potatoes have no lumps....love gadgets....they do take up a lot of space tho....
smiley4.gif

Of all the Norwegian foods we get to sample around these here parts of the country...I like Lefse and love those rolled up things with whipped cream and powdered sugar...you can have the Ludefisk [spelling?] a.k.a....rude-a-fish....
smiley11.gif
Lutefisk. Nasty stuff! Norwegians discovered there's refrigeration and no longer at that stuff. Too bad they didn't figure that out here!
smiley2.gif
It's certainly an aquired taste. I'll skip it thank you very much.
Krumkake is the rolled up things. You can fill them with loads of fillings but the cream and sugar sure are good. Maybe I'll make some this year... Someone gave me a stove top iron a few years ago but I've never used it. Oops...

krumkake.jpg

Edited by: PolishWineP

Northern Winos said:
Waldo....juicing up here in the Northland too....

20060923_114207_Picture_066_Win.jpg

20060923_114236_Picture_067_Win.jpg

20060923_114303_Picture_069_Win.jpg

Apples are very small this year....too dry...and the tree overproduced....I was mean and didn't thin them this spring....so the poor little tree is hanging...
Using up some of the produce....just when you think your gaining on it.....the neighbor showed up with another box of watermelon....life is good!!!!

Now those look yummy !!! I am going to try and get another batch tomorrow and strictly make apple sauce from them

Latest posts

Back