The Life and Times of Waldo's Steamer/Juicer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Waldo

Reaction score
Thought it might be fun to start this thread and keep it updated as i figure out new and different things to do with my steamer.

Got up around 2am this morning, fired up my steamer/juicer and tossed about 12lbs of apples into that Kathy had cored for me the evening before. Along with the apples, I added 3 cups brown sugar, a couple of cloves and a generous sprinkling of cinammon. I only steamed them until they were soft and tender and took them out of the steamer and added the juice back to them that I had extracted. Stirrred this allup really good and "viola", I have Apple Pie filling.

spicedapples.jpg

So what does one do with their Apple Pie filling.....Well I grabbed a pie plate out of the cupboard, opened my box of Kroger brand pie crust, fired the oven up to 375 degrees and the end results were:

applepie.jpg
Edited by: Waldo

Oh my gosh!!!!!!...does that look good or what?????

BTW...what are you doing up at 2 AM...??? Besides making pies n' stuff????

Don't you know, Waldo is trying to start a new time zone thingy- like Daylight Savings Time- only he does Waldo's Winemaking Time. We need to get the rest of the country hooked on it so everybody is as cheery as Waldo.
smiley1.gif

By the way Waldo- that is a clever use for the steamer!
smiley20.gif
smiley20.gif
Edited by: appleman

Thanks all....I started a test project this evening on some Muscadines I picked this morning. I had about 6 lbs that were good and ripe from the 4 gallon that I picked so I steamed them and will be starting a gallon of Muscadine with the juice I got from the steaming to see how that does.
steamingmuscadines91606.jpg
Edited by: Waldo

2 am. huh, Your like a kid on Christmas Eve.
smiley36.gif
I love it. Soon you'll figure out how to cook a steak in that thing! That pie looks yummy.

That is my typical "get-up" time every day wade. Sometime between 1:30am and 2:30am I am up and at em...Have been doing it for over 30+ years now..

Waldo,

I found the Mehu-Liisa recipe book online and WOW! I didn't realize all the things this thing will do. You can make holiday puddings, breads, home-made sausages, corned beef, chicken, fish and shell fish in this thing. All this and steaming fruits and veggies. Plus. the basket can be used as a collander and the bottom pan can be used as a roasting pan for stovetop or oven. I'm about convinced that this is what I want for my birthday next month!

For all those interested, here is the link to the ebook: http://lib.store.yahoo.net/lib/steam-juicers/Mehu-Liisa-Recipes.pdf#search='steam%20juicer'

Edited by: pkcook

I'm a little nervous, Waldo. If you power up that fan, you're going to be scraping whatever's in the steamer off everything 2 states down wind of you!
smiley3.gif

smiley4.gif

Waldo, it looks like your having a lot of fun with your new toy! The pie looks awesome! My wife thinks your crazy with the 2:30 stuff but I like to get up early to, although not quite that early. Doesn't the juice come out of the steamer pretty hot? I'd be nervious about cracking the jug!

Happy steaming,
Pete

Yes, pk, mine is the 10L and I got it on e-Bay
Your right joan..that sucka can put out some wind..I use it only in the fall for blowing all of my leaves over into my neighbors yard
smiley36.gif

It does get very hot Petebut what I do is insert the drain hose into my jug from the beginning and as the steamer heats up it is also slowly heating up the jug . I would imagine that if you just opened that drain into a cold jug it probably would break it. In their instructions in the manual the say to heat jars in the oven at 220 degreesyou are going to put the juice in.
I am loving this gadget and looking for new uses for it.Edited by: Waldo

So...what time did you start juicing this morning....
smiley17.gif
Do you ever sleep????

I drain my juicer into a kettle till I have a batch done, then heat it and put it in canning jars, or cool it down and mix up some wine.
When I do 2 or 3 batches in a day, I put all the pulp back in the top basket and run it through one more pan of water, then let it drip over night, get a bit more goodness out of the fruits...
smiley1.gif

That a good idea wino..Will have to give that a try. I have 4 gallon zip locs full of the apple pulp so I may try running it all back through one more time.

After steaming the Rasberries for my Apple/Rasberry wine I collected the pulp from the rasberries

Added back about 1/4 cup of the rasberry juice and two cups of the spiced apple mixture from yesterday and made a wonderful Rasberry/Apple cobbler.

DSCN0005-4.jpg

Waldo! You're killin' me here! I want pie and cobbler! I no longer want Sunday dinner, I just want desserts! (We need a slobbering mouth emoticon!)
smiley36.gif

I'm thinking Waldo's making us look like a bunch of baking slackers!!! I thought I was doing good when I made dog biscuits today! I think I missed the baking boat!
smiley36.gif

Latest posts

Back