The Life and Times of Waldo's Steamer/Juicer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When can open 1 of my Port bottles Jobe?
smiley36.gif

It's not 2009 yet is it?

Do you even have a bottle left................ there!?

Bottled 90 bottles of scuppernong and 30 bottles of Amarone today............. Now Im tired............

Edited by: jobe05

Just racked 4 batches today and have 1 batch that is ready to bottle but dont have the ambition. I have 2 of the bottles of Port still!
smiley4.gif

You can open 1 if you want to....................

I'm still saving you an 06 bottle........... you'll see it in 09!

I still have two of the first you sent me jobe and 6 of the second batch

jobe05 said:
Will definitely do the Malt again Wade. Seems to really hide the high alcohol and gives it great body....... not that 6 pounds of fruit per gallon wouldn;t.......

I haven't had much luck with the steamer on some fruit, but for apples, pears, peaches and now plums, I'm glad that I have one, not to mention the freezer space it saves by being able to can the juice, now it will be ready to use when ever I want it.

Which fruits did you have a problem with jobe?

hay jobe good to seeyou on the forum again hope all,s been good,and i do like your port,i think it wasblackberry 2007,if you people are sitting on that one It,s great rightnow..........................................

Waldo Which fruits did you have a problem with jobe? [/QUOTE said:
When I steamed the scuppernong, the flavor of the must was flat, non existent scuppernong flavor.

Same with the muscadine. it had a sweet flavor and nice color but it took that musty, Foxy flavor out............ just made sweet red wine.

I have the Plum, but it' still in the jars waiting to make wine with. So far it taste good, we'll see if the wine comes out good when I make it.
Edited by: jobe05

I have not tried any scuppernong jobe but I have not experienced what you did with my Muscadines when i steamed mine. Were yours wild or domestic?

I would imagine they were domestic, I got them at the farmers market.

I got some from a guy in Virginia. Some I crushed to make wine with and had a great flavor, some I steamed and had no flavor. The next batch I got locally, steamed them and no flavor. I have the rest of those muscadines still in the freezer and will try a batch with them being sqeezed to see if it's the grape or the steaming.

I have a 3 gallon batch from last year still sitting on my bench that I steamed and it lacks in flavor, and is darker in color than the squeezed suppernongs that I just bottled. I'll have to send you a bottle of my squeezed scuppernong and see if you can tell the difference.

Are th muscadine large or kinda small? The best for making wine are the small ones. Isons preferably

These were on the smaller side, between nickel and dime size. I still have about 35 pounds in the freezer, but first I have to start the Blueberry Port............ and that won't happen this week.......................... sigh.............

This new business is breaking in on our wine making time Jobe and we just cant let that happen so we are coming over and putting an end to this!
smiley36.gif

Come on over!

I like the "free labor" Idea!
smiley36.gif

Actually, There is a guy who contacted me that lives out east (about 130 miles away) Who wants to get some free training in return for some free labor. So he may be joining us tomorrow and stay for a few days.

But it has cut into my wine making, no question............... has also cut into every other aspect of my life......... but I'm sure it's only a 3 or 4 year temporary thing.........

3 or 4 years! I see a work intervention getting ready to happen!
smiley36.gif
Being that busy is a good thing and glad your business is taking off with a boom.

Back