The Life and Times of Waldo's Steamer/Juicer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Jobe
nice JOB
How about pictures of the rest of the cheese pressing equipment????

I WANT ONE OF THOSE MAMMA

Also is there a linkto stinkys plans.

I really enjoy the AAA stinky thread but even for a set plans, i will not read through 40 bazillion pages
smiley36.gif

Stinkie didn't have plans, he just showed a picture of it and I copied from the idea. It was very easy to do. The only remaining item I have not shown in the picture would be the 4" and 12" PVC connectors with holes drilled in it that I use for molds. Put the cheese curd in a cheese cloth, put it in the PVC mold, put a saucer on it and put it in the press.

Maybe I'll Plan a batch and take some pics if any one is interested. Till then, look at this web site:
http://biology.clc.uc.edu/Fankhauser/Cheese/Cheese.html

Thats where I got all my info when I started.

I use that same site. I want to make a press. The stinkie special seems more versatile than those being sold. I'll copy your photo and save it to my cheese folder.
I really would like to see the pvc stuff that you made. Im not very original.

I'll post some pics when I sobber up enough to see throught the veiw finder on my camera.

Beore I ever purchased my Steamer/Juicer I had sent Jack Keller an e-mail requesting his thoughts/opinions on using the steamed juices for making wine. I got a reply back from him yesterday, first with an apology on taking so long to reply and then he told me, " I used a steamer for about 8-9 months for all kinds of fruit, but finally attributed it to some of the wines having a difficult time clearing. Consultation with the Food Science department at Cornell confirmed my suspicion, so I sold the steamer."
I felt like I needed to share this as I know some of you are considering a steamer/juicer. So far, I personally have not experienced this problem and the key here, to me, would be that he stated that "some" of his wines did not clear properly. I wish he would have elaborated more on which ones and maybe he will later.So, no you know.....The Rest of The Story !!! I will keep the forum updated on my successes and any problems I experience with the steamer juicer.

I have thought that our wines made from steam extracted juices have cleared very quickly....with one exception....Wild Plum Wine.....
I cold stabilized the plum wine last fall....the whole carboy was a Pepto Pink color...it did clear when it was cold stablilized....Wish I would have known about Super-Kleer K-C at the time....think that would have worked great too.
The wine was very tart and astringent....a year later it is quite good, lost that tanginess.
I did not gather any wild plums this year....might in the future.

NOW...was the cloudiness from the steam juicer, or just a trait of those little fruits...I don't know....

Other than that batch I have been real happy with the way the wines clear from steam extracted juice....but I have made most of our wines with this type of juice.

I have made a wine with bananas/frozen pineapple juice and frozen apple juice....that cleared nicely...used Bentonite in the primary.

Also, made carbonated apple cider with 1 gallon jugs of apple juice and brought the S.G. up with frozen apple juice concentrate....that cleared well too, in time....

SO...I would say...everyone has their own opinions....so do what feels good to you!!!
smiley2.gif

Ill bet that just a bit more attention to any wine that doesnt clear as quickly as we would like is the true solution.

Thanks NW....I am going to continue using mine until it does prove itself to be detrimental to my wines clearing properly and hopefully Jack will give some more input as to what types of wine he experienced his problem with.

jobe05 said:
I'll post some pics when I sobber up enough to see throught the veiw finder on my camera.

JOBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!! You sober yet buddy
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

All in all, Waldo, Jack's comment about the steamer gives you information that you know up-front -- and can watch for it or compare to your past experience. It makes you wonder what "Cornell" would have said could be the cause....

If he lets you know, I'll look forward to that post too! (I still want one!)

I had read that heating juice can cause peptic haze...I personally wouldn't know the difference.

But...I think any juice or concentrate you buy that comes in a can has been heated to make it sterile for the canning process...

I read in 'From Vines to Wines' by Jeff Cox that freezing grapes reduces the acidity and raises the PH...

He also said that grapes shipped under refrigeration are like little vinegar pots....that refrigeration is what molds like....

His opinions referred to grapes, not other fruits...

So...who knows best...everything you read is usually that person's opinion...

I would say...do what work's for you...
smiley1.gif

Waldo said:
jobe05 said:

JOBEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE !!! You sober yet buddy
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif
smiley36.gif

I did.......... But then I went and did it again....... and again........ and again........

The family and I went to the mountains for a nice 4 day weekend. The intention was to watch the leaves change, do a little fishing and have some romantic evenings in the hot tub. My wife did question why we would need 13 bottles of wine that I packed, but I just thought that I'd rather be safe than sorry. By late Saturday night, she was making store runs to buy more wine.......
smiley9.gif
smiley5.gif
smiley2.gif

Funny thing was, after a couple of bottles, I was amazed how really good my wines tasted, and how horrible the store stuff was!

So for now........ I'm nursing a 4 day hangover. I'm sure as most of you know, wine hangovers are far worse than beer hang overs........... Why is that? It also tought me a lesson. I try to make my wines just a couple percent stronger than intended, i.e. if a wine is suppose to turn out 11%, I add some sugar to get it to 13%. Although it as no effect on the taste of the wine, you get drunk so fast that you really don't enjoy it by the time you get to the 5th, 6th and 7th bottles, not to mention that sitting in a hot tub for 6 hours isn't good for ya either, but ya know you can't get out, safely.................

So..... Maybe this weekend I can pick up where I lef off............ on the forum.......... not the drinking..........

Ya know, the funny thing is.......... I really don't drink

Hi my name is John and I have a........................... OOooops wrong forum.

Maybe you are Sulfite sensitive????Had heard that if you are, add less Sulfite at bottling....Some people will get headaches from Sulfite....

Thanks NW,

All this time I thought it was the five botles I drank.................

But I like the sulphite theory better
smiley36.gif

I blame the sleep! It's true. You were just fine before you went to sleep, but after you woke up, THEN the hangover hits.

How in the heck did this thread ever manage to "dry up on the vine"

By gawdd we will keep it going from henceforth.
Any new Steamer/Juicer owners out there want to "Stand Up And Testify"Edited by: Waldo

Latest posts

Back