The Life and Times of Waldo's Steamer/Juicer

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ive used mine once so far, for the rhubarb I've done , must say its like rock and roll...I Like It! Plan on making a lot more this summer with it!

I was going to steam a batch of Plums this weekend but elected to get some of the carboys out of the dining room before I had anything else meet the fate of my Muscadine and hence It has been a wine bottling marathon for me this weekend.I Will post some more pcitures once I get everything labeled. For right now, here are the labels that will go on the wines.

5 gallon Blackberry will be dressed with

20070721_172410_Untitled-1.jpg

6 gallon of Shiraz/Muscat blend will be dressed with

shirazmuscatblend.jpg

5 Gallon of Strawberry will be dressed with

strawberrywine.jpg

5 Gallon of Black Currant Port ill be dressed with

2007port.jpg

5 Gallon Black Currant-Elderberry blnd will be dressed with

currantelderberryblend.jpg

It has all been bottled and right now I am in the process of cleaning the sanitizing residue from the bottles and will begin labeling this afternoon.

IMG_1876.jpg

Edited by: Waldo

Waldo, I really like your black & white labels....Sometimes simplicity is more sophisticated.

That was a lot of bottling.....
What's next on your agenda????

Thanks NW...I will be juicing and starting a Plum this week along with a Strawberry/Zin and Green Apple/Guertz kits I just got from George.

Labels look great Waldo, has the Black Currant become a staple in your winery now? I have to get started on some more Black Currant. I have 0 bottles left and none started as I didnt know my wife gave out a few bottles of it, my last. She is under strict instructions now to ask what wines are available to be given out. Next step will be to hide the key from her, the key is already hidden from the kids just to be sure but they are young.

Edited by: wade

Good to see your still at it strong Waldo. I juiced 30 pounds of plums this past weekend and ended up with 19 1/2 quarts of juice. I have 15 more pounds to juice, which I will save for sweetening back the finished wine. I will use Wades method of condensing down as to not dilute it too much.

I, Like yourself, have 33 gallons of various wines to bottle, just no time right now, and still no room in the freezer....... So I used NW's method and canned them in quart jars. All sealed up and waiting for me to make some wine ........................... Someday.................. Sigh...........

Glad to see you still make a little time to play with your passion Jobe. Do you or Waldo have another batch of blackberry port in the mix?

What variety of plums are you using jobe? Wade needs to post a tutorial ( with pictures) on his condensing meyhod, along with proper storage instructions.

I will definately be doing another blackberry this year wade. I want to try a Black Currant/Blackberry/Elderberry blend too.

50% Blackberry, 30% Black Currant and 20% Elderberry

Sorry I didn't keep up with the posting guys...... But this is why I haven't posted much lately, I just don't have the time to be attentive enough to respond...... sorry.

Last year I planted 3 plum trees (2 from Lowes and 1 from KMart) Nothing special trees, all Santa Rosa Plums. One of the trees had no fruit, one had 2 plums and the other had 20 pounds of fruit. The poor little tree couldn't even stand up on it's own, I had to tie it to the fence. The 30 pounds that I juiced were market bought, so I'm not sure of the brand.

Definitely planning another batch of Port this year, along with a blueberry Port. Also thinking about doing 3 gallons of Plum wine, and 3 gallons of Plum Port????? I wonder how the high alcohol content would be in it?

Edited by: jobe05

smiley31.gif
good morning people,the summer fruit is here in new jersey and time for some peach wine,this is my first stop second is italian red plums,and then red rassberry fresh from the farm,we still are the garden state you know,you just have to know were to look,we have north american blueberry company down here one of the largest producers of fresh blue berries in the country,waldo i truly think i<am going to buy one of those steamers,really,pie look scrumshish,wine from fresh fruit is heavenly and buy all means jobe the blueberry port,excellent and wade the black current superb,///////////////////

You will love the steamer/juicer joeswine.

What variety of peaches are you going to use?

I would surely be curious on the Plum Port Jobe, I made a plum wine that came out OK but the fruit was from a supermarket and most likely could have been a little riper or it was just not a great year for them as they werent the super drippy squirt in your eye when bitten plums. Would you use malt extract again?

WALDO I DON,T REALLY KNOW THE TYPE<BUT THE ORCHARD IS ABOUT3 MILES FROM ME AND ABOUT100 ACRES LARGE,THEY THEMSELVES ARE CALLED HERITAGE WINERY AND PRODUCE,YOU CAN BUY FROM THEM DIRECT,THATS WERE I BOUGHT MY ITALIAN PLUMS LAST YEAR IT TURNED OUT GREAT,DEEP RED AND JUICE SWEET UP FRONT AND TART TO THE BACK SIDE AND THATS HOW THE WINE TURNED OUT ALSO,DEFIANTLY LOOKING INTO THE JUICER////////////////////////////

Will definitely do the Malt again Wade. Seems to really hide the high alcohol and gives it great body....... not that 6 pounds of fruit per gallon wouldn;t.......

I haven't had much luck with the steamer on some fruit, but for apples, pears, peaches and now plums, I'm glad that I have one, not to mention the freezer space it saves by being able to can the juice, now it will be ready to use when ever I want it.

Latest posts

Back