The Bread Thread

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Joe, this is pretty standard but, like most of us winemakers, I tend to tinker so I sub 1 cup of milk for 1 cup of the water and add some ground rosemary. It's really a fast, easy and tasty recipe. I also split it into 3 loaves, seems to make a better serving size for the two of us.

https://houseofnasheats.com/homemade-french-bread/

I've been freezing a lot of the sourdough bread I make. I usually make three smaller loaves from a two loaf recipe, eat one and partially vacuum seal and freeze two.
Question: A lot of bakers on the web suggest that you bake the bread anywhere from 70% to 90% of a full bake and then complete it on the day you want to consume it. I've never had much luck doing that. I now do a full bake and either allow the bread to reach room temperature on the counter for regular consumption — toast, sandwiches, etc. — or warm it up in a 200-degree oven for 15-20 miutes before eating it warm at dinner.
Neither method gives you the flavour and texture of freshly baked bread but it beats the hell out of anything store bought.
Anyone out there freeze bread as well? Any special techniques to share?

I've been freezing a lot of the sourdough bread I make. I usually make three smaller loaves from a two loaf recipe, eat one and partially vacuum seal and freeze two.
Question: A lot of bakers on the web suggest that you bake the bread anywhere from 70% to 90% of a full bake and then complete it on the day you want to consume it. I've never had much luck doing that. I now do a full bake and either allow the bread to reach room temperature on the counter for regular consumption — toast, sandwiches, etc. — or warm it up in a 200-degree oven for 15-20 miutes before eating it warm at dinner.
Neither method gives you the flavour and texture of freshly baked bread but it beats the hell out of anything store bought.
Anyone out there freeze bread as well? Any special techniques to share?
We've found that freezing a fresh loaf when it is still slightly warm helps with the taste when thawed.

Back in the saddle again! First loaves in quite some time. Mostly making sourdough pizza crust over the Summer but this week we had our first freeze. Feels like Fall in the Rockies!

View attachment 106550
How do you get them to look so pretty? Lots of sourdough pizza this summer. My starter is two years old when I got it from my son. Not sure how long he had it.

IMG_1268.jpeg

I use a bread lame. I make a squiggle (snake) line down the middle and then just small slices (like a stalk) on both sides the squiggle.

How do you get them to look so pretty? Lots of sourdough pizza this summer. My starter is two years old when I got it from my son. Not sure how long he had it.

View attachment 107868

Wanted to press the easy button but not a single baguette to be had in the local grocery store so I went into bread making mode this morning. This is a non sourdough baguette recipe. Turned out decent and should make a good crostini for appetizer for dinner tomorrow.

IMG_0636.jpeg

Wanted to press the easy button but not a single baguette to be had in the local grocery store so I went into bread making mode this morning. This is a non sourdough baguette recipe. Turned out decent and should make a good crostini for appetizer for dinner tomorrow.

View attachment 108734

Adapt. Improvise. Overcome.

Back