The Bread Thread

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After judiciously watching every slap and fold video on YouTube and still not getting the crumb I wanted, I picked up on the no knead/ no fold method.
Mix everything together at once until all dry bits gone (5-10 minutes). The starter does NOT have to be fed. In fact it can be very neglected. Then cover for 24-30 hours. If starter is more robust, cut fermentation to
18 hours. Absolutely no kneading or folding.
After first ferment, shape and allow to rise 2-3 hours. Bake as usual.
Best and simplest sourdough ever.
Same thing for breads with commercial yeast except cut yeast to 1/4 tsp per loaf, leave at room temp 18-24 hours before shaping, resting 1-2 hours and baking.

Last edited:
You guys and gals have inspired me to try my hand at baking bread. This is my first attempt at an Artisan type bread, using a recipe that I found on the internet. Haven't tasted it yet but it looks pretty good.

100_2115.JPG

The recipe had the usual ingredients, flour, yeast, salt and water, but it was baked in a Dutch oven inside my gas oven. It called for preheating the Dutch oven for 30 minutes at 425 degrees F, and baking the bread covered for 30 minutes and uncovered for 10 minutes.

Last edited:
Looks like you nailed it!

You guys and gals have inspired me to try my hand at baking bread. This is my first attempt at an Artisan type bread, using a recipe that I found on the internet. Haven't tasted it yet but it looks pretty good.

View attachment 109307

The recipe had the usual ingredients, flour, yeast, salt and water, but it was baked in a Dutch oven inside my gas oven. It called for preheating the Dutch oven for 30 minutes at 425 degrees F, and baking the bread covered for 30 minutes and uncovered for 10 minutes.

A bread story from last weekend. We had a big storm here with 60 mph wind that knocked out power for 24 hours or so. Fortunately, I made some sandwich size baguettes just before the power went down. That night we made shrimp Bohn Mi sandwiches and ate them by Coleman lantern light. IMG_0571.jpegIMG_0573.jpegIMG_0574.jpeg

Last edited:

View attachment 109307

Yes I’ve baked sourdough bread using that method. Internal temperature should be 206-208F.

Latest posts

Back