The Bread Thread

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have recently learned that almost all wheat producers in Canada and US use roundup before harvesting. I have been making bread for years with wheat flour but this turns me right off. Does anyone have any good recipes for non wheat bread? I know I could use organic flour but its so expensive here in Canada. Looking for options

I have recently learned that almost all wheat producers in Canada and US use roundup before harvesting. I have been making bread for years with wheat flour but this turns me right off. Does anyone have any good recipes for non wheat bread? I know I could use organic flour but its so expensive here in Canada. Looking for options

King Arthur flour is produced in Vermont and is organic. No Roundup use on their wheat.

King Arthur flour is produced in Vermont and is organic. No Roundup use on their wheat.
Oh yeah, love King Arthur! Employee owned. Only brand I buy.
Roundup is everywhere, unfortunately. Even in breast milk. There's evidence that many people aren't sensitive to gluten but rather the glyphosate. Don't read about it - may scare the crap out of you.

Only the King Arthur Organic Line is made 100% without Roundup. It says on their website that the farmers who produce other wheat for them are "not tilling (to reduce erosion)," which means glyphosate sometimes in combo with other vegetation killers is used on the land, even if KA says it is not used as a pre-harvest wheat killer.

It is a typical agricultural practice to kill winter wheat at maturity with glyphosate. That makes sure the grain is of uniform size when harvested and that it all is of equal dryness, important to combat spoilage when stored. The practice is most in use in areas where multiple crops will be raised on the same acreage, as it helps ensure uniform harvest times so that fields can be replanted.

I'm pretty sure the flour coming from Italy doesn't have roundup in it. I think its use as a desiccant there is banned. But you have to make sure the wheat was grown in italy as a lot of their larger pasta producers import US and Canadian wheat. I'm not sure about their mills for bread flower.

KA does not grow wheat or "make" flour. They buy wheat from western and Midwestern U.S., including Kansas, Colorado and North Dakota. ADM Milling mills at least some of KA's flour. King Arthur's regular bread flour was tested for the Center for Environmental Health in 2018 and it had 1386 ppb glyphosate.

Back in the saddle this AM. The quest for 4 perfect baguettes continues but making progress........

View attachment 89875

View attachment 89876
Bread is a skill, and those are pretty good looking loaves. You always gotta aim for perfection, but you also have to give recognition where it is due.

If they taste half as good as they look, I wouldn't say no to a second slice.... Who am I kidding. I'd be all over the second loaf. ;)

Back