The Bread Thread

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not as technically complex as a sourdough bread, but still fun and quick. Youngest daughter caught the flu from my son (we always share in our family, lol), and since it seems to be a quick mover (about 2 days of not feeling great) I decided to make some soft pretzels for her (her favorite) and some bagels (her second favorite, she likes any bread product). New recipe, egg wash, used some hi gluten flour (trying to use it since I now use 00 for pizza dough). Lite and fluffy inside, nice crisp outside from the wash. Made her happy and that is what a dad is for, right?

3-18-22_pretzels.jpg

Edit: she just came back in the kitchen for a bagel after the initial pretzel, so home run on my part! My wife and I split a pretzel, I expect the rest of the batch to not exist after lunchtime tomorrow, as usual.

Last edited:
For my everyday bread I do the the "Artisan Bread in 5 Minutes a Day" thing. Mix ingredients, let rise, fridge. To make a loaf, grab a big handful, form tight ball, bake. No kneading. Pizza stone, tray of hot water. Super easy.

And since this is the time of year to restock the freezer with corned beef, more rye bread.

20220320_195632.jpg 20220321_150640.jpg

You guys amaze me with the baking
I was incredibly intimidated at first. But like so many things, the more you do it the easier it gets.

Which can be bad when all you want is one piece of candy and there's none in the house and you don't want to go shopping. So you decide to bake a cake and double the buttercream frosting recipe.

I i understand the feeling I enjoy cooking all types of food ( international) Cuisine .Italian, Asian and Spanish some Mexican also.

Box cake mixes are always good for emergencies!
Cake mix hack: 5 eggs instead of 3, milk instead of water, melted butter instead of oil. Tastes like a bakery cake. Homemade buttercream frosting, of course.

View attachment 86217
I'm not much of a cake guy but I bet I'd love a piece of this. Wow! Does the hack work with other flavors of cake mix or should my wife stick with yellow?

I'm not much of a cake guy but I bet I'd love a piece of this. Wow! Does the hack work with other flavors of cake mix or should my wife stick with yellow?
Unfortunately I have tried it with at least 6 different flavors. Even chocolate. Works great with all of them, dammit. 😄

Latest posts

Back