The Bread Thread

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also bake sourdough artisan bread on occasion. I bake in a dutch oven combo as pictured. I get excellent oven spring using the combo dutch oven. It retains the necessary steam that the bread needs to rise and give a nice oven spring. I bake with the lid on for 20 minutes and then remove the lid and continue to bake until golden brown. Normally an additional 15 minutes.
I also have been using the same sourdough starter for just over 2 years now.
This is 2 boules that I just finished baking.20211214_093518.jpg20211214_093411.jpg20211214_091034.jpg20211214_094220.jpg20211214_095730.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
A question, now that I made some bread today. I'm finding it almost impossible to find any rye flour, anyone else notice it? Started noticing it once covid got ramped up in the summer of 2020. Figured it would come back on the shelves eventually, just haven't seen it yet.

Making pizza doughs today, couldn't resist a basic loaf for my youngest daughter. She just walked into the house and said "something smells good". Then a few seconds later as she walked into the kitchen she added "oh, bread, nice".

She knows it is basically for her to consume.
The stuff we don't think twice about doing for our kids ...
;)

@ceeaton I have a bag of this I bought last year. I still have like 24lbs of it left!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0049YNXDY/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Hummm. I didn't see any at the Restaurant Store when I was there last week, but I have to admit I didn't check their website. I can order stuff and pick it up at the store in Mechanicsburg (close to work) usually within a day or two of ordering it. Need to grab a beverage and do some research.

I could use 5 lbs, not so sure about 25 lbs, lol.

2 loaves of sourdough (rear) and two loaves of sourdough/rye/caraway seed (front). Gonna make some nice rueben sandwiches for dinner tonight. Supposed to be cloudy and cold with snow Friday night/Saturday morning so lots of fresh bread for tonight and tomato basil soup and grilled cheese sandwiches on another night! :db

1642693048051.png

Latest posts

Back