The best hybrid variety for winemaking?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I think Vern has the right information. The "cold hardy" vines should do fine in warmer climates. The issues are the other disease problems.

Why not have your soil make the call? Have it tested and seek a recomendation on what will grow best in it.
This was my first thought. Soil and climate are the determining factors of what variety is "best".

Funny, I've been to a lot of wineries throughout North Carolina and Virginia. A lot push over priced cabernet and merlot.... while their chambourcin is a far better wine. Oh, well, at least it keeps the price of chambourcin down ...

Wow, this thread has become really big!
Thanks for all your replies!

If you really need hybrids , I would contact vine nurseries in the UK
Given the wet climate , disease and fungus resistance are sought after characteristics.

Not sure how a grape could be too early , you just make wine in September instead of October . Baccus and Ortega are grown in England and Vancouver island and show good mildew resistance so I wouldn't rule them out , might be worth a few test vines to see how they do.

I'm not sure about that! I had a discussion about grape varieties with a professional winemaker a few days ago: He said - even though he produced excellent Pintot Noir - that he wouldn't plant this variety again, as it matures too early and gets too high in alcohol. I should have asked why he didn't just harvest them earlier, but I didn't think about that back then.

But it seems to me that the grapes need to "hang" for a certain amount of time until they reach their full potential...

Add lots of building rubble to open the soil and add lime(from the mortar), Muller Thurgau for a decent white or Black Hamburg for red.

That sounds like a good idea - but without heavy machinery this will be practically impossible. I will add some lime though!

Sorry, but what country do you live in? That could help us out climate wise.

As already mentioned: Austria, central Europa

Again, much like Chamborcin, Norton seems to me to be "Hit or miss". I have had some that was off the hook good, while others were equally bad.
Based on my experiences this seems to be a problem with most hybrid varieties. I mean: I the few months when I was actively seeking for and trying out wines made from hybrids I drank more bad wine than I ever drank before. And very often I had wines of totally different charcteristics made from the same variety...

People love Noiret, but I just can't get past the heavy pepper, especially when it gets horseradishy. I've always been a huge fan of Traminette, as well as Vidal Blanc and Baco Noir.

Latest posts

Back