Thanks WMT

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wineforfun

Still Trying To Make The Perfect Wine and Now Tryi
Reaction score
Some of you know that my lastest venture has been coffee. I am now buying green beans, roasting them and using manual methods to make coffee, ie: pour over, turkish, etc.

With that said, when I started this( a few months ago) I set out to find a message board, similar to what I did when I started with wine. I ran across coffeegeek.com. While there are "some" helpful people on there, a lot of them log in to just bash Starbucks or tell us newbies how we should be buying high end equpment or the coffee will taste terrible.

It makes me really appreciate, even more, all the help I received on here when starting out and even to this day. Plus, while we all may not agree on certain things or facets of life, there is generally a mutual respect among everyone.

I have been on a large amount of message boards(due to my weightlifting competition days) and this is one of the best and most courteous.

Well said W4F!!!

Like any close family, we may have our quirks, but we all support each other and manage to get along.

I too feel very lucky to have fallen in with the likes of these members!

So what have you found to roast coffee the best? Where is a good place to buy beans from? And does it produce something better than what you can get from a small commercial roaster like The Roasterie, or Stumptown.

So what have you found to roast coffee the best? Where is a good place to buy beans from? And does it produce something better than what you can get from a small commercial roaster like The Roasterie, or Stumptown.

Not familiar with Roasterie or Stumptown. I have been buying my green beans from Burmans Coffee in Wisconsin and some from a local roaster here in Omaha.

Does it produce better than what I can get from a small commercial roaster? haha That is the million dollar question my friend. So far, I would say I can make something close to them, but I am not where they are yet. However, it costs me anywhere from $12-$14lb to buy them roasted. I buy green beans anywhere from $5 -$8lb. Yes there is my time, electricity, cost of roaster, etc., but like wine, there is something to be said about making it yourself.
Roasting your own beans, grinding them and making a fresh cup of coffee is kind of cool.

The roaster I bought was an Freshroast SR 500. Only makes 4.5oz. at a time but is enough for 4-5 cups of coffee. I usually roast enough for a weeks worth so it stays very fresh. I normally have 2-3 "countries" of coffee to drink. Grind it immediately before making the cup.

The irony to this is, I just started drinking coffee a few months ago.......couldn't stand the stuff. I think the inclusion of dry red wine into my system has opened the coffee door. I only drink it black as putting cream, sugar, etc. in it takes away from the beans characteristics. You lose alot of the beans flavors by adding extras.

I love my fresh roasted coffee. I usually buy my beans from Sweet Maria's. They have small farm crops and interesting coffees. Some time ago I splurged for a hottop drum roaster. Glad I did. It has been a workhorse.

Funny - I never found the need for any other forum than this one!

I love my fresh roasted coffee. I usually buy my beans from Sweet Maria's. They have small farm crops and interesting coffees. Some time ago I splurged for a hottop drum roaster. Glad I did. It has been a workhorse.

Funny - I never found the need for any other forum than this one!

Sweet Maria's has a great selection. Burmans just works out better shipping wise for me. They have a service, Speedy Delivery, which only delivers to the midwest area(North Dakota is listed) that I get up to 10lbs. shipped for $6.50 and 20lbs. for $8.99(I know Maria's is $8.99 up to 20lbs. too, I believe).
My next investment may be a Behmor 1600+ drum roaster, we will see. Still learing all the nuances of this roasting.

Yeah, outside of trip advisor forums for my traveling, this is the only one I frequent.

Latest posts

Back