Texas Grape Growin

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
btom2004 said:
Well they sure are huge. Are they not ready to harvest right now, before the birds get them?

You sure have a green thumb, are you growing those in pots?

Not ready yet; they will need to turn nice a dark...will harvest when the sugar is right. Thank you and yes 4 of the 5 vines are in huge pots. Cab Sauv is in a 2' raised bed.

Not ready yet; they will need to turn nice a dark...will harvest when the sugar is right. Thank you and yes 4 of the 5 vines are in huge pots. Cab Sauv is in a 2' raised bed.

It is one of the grape diseases - probably one of the mildews, but hard to tell from the pictures. Removing them as they form might help. It looks like a bit of disease got on the grapes also. They hopefully ripen before it gets too bad.

Thank you! I am very proud the way they are lookin but leaves are starting to dry /burn up with a little white fuzz on them only a couple at a time. The leaf you can see in the last pic is that way. Any thoughts?

What is your spray program? Sprays used and how often? That may give a clue as to what is causing the problem. Suspect it to be both Downy Mildew and Black Rot.

Randoneur said:
What is your spray program? Sprays used and how often? That may give a clue as to what is causing the problem. Suspect it to be both Downy Mildew and Black Rot.

I've sprayed once with Uncle Jacks organic gardening stuff, our something like that, once that got rid of some bugs but thats it. For now forward what spraying program is perferred for wine grapes? Those two were what I was leaning towards myself. a big thanks to everyone offering advice!

i use a rose spray from bayer advanced I get at lowes. I use it for the sharpshooters. The vines are tolerant but I dont want them sucking my plant regargless. I also use a bayer advanced rose and flower fertilizer. I wasnt doing much until about amonth ago they plants were covered with some mite looking stuff and those sharpshooters.

I recommend you look at your state agricultural site to see if they have a recommended spray plan for grapes. You will need a continuous spray of fungicides to control the mildews in a humid climate. If you don't find anything specific for Texas, here is a guide that might give you some ideas of what fungicides are used: https://mdc.itap.purdue.edu/item.asp?item_number=ID-169

i use a rose spray from bayer advanced I get at lowes. I use it for the sharpshooters. The vines are tolerant but I dont want them sucking my plant regargless. I also use a bayer advanced rose and flower fertilizer. I wasnt doing much until about amonth ago they plants were covered with some mite looking stuff and those sharpshooters.

Are there any large vineyards, 50+ acres in the Houston metro area?

I don't think there are many if any of that size. There's on with about 3 acres of growing near Galveston, the Haak Vineyards, pretty cool place. I'm hoping to plant about 3-5 acres this coming year or next....

Randoneur said:
I recommend you look at your state agricultural site to see if they have a recommended spray plan for grapes. You will need a continuous spray of fungicides to control the mildews in a humid climate. If you don't find anything specific for Texas, here is a guide that might give you some ideas of what fungicides are used: https://mdc.itap.purdue.edu/item.asp?item_number=ID-169

Thank you, I found some good info from TAMU. Unfortunately seems I'm dealing with Pierce's disease... Affecting my Black Spanish(Lenoir) and 'Favorite' vines. They are tollerent to the disease but I wonder if the grapes are still good to make wine out of and does the disease kill off during the winter?

If they are tolerant, then you will see some leaves die and drop off, but the grapes will be ok for wine. Tolerant vines should survive, but the Sharpshooters will reinfect them every year. Vines that are not tolerant are eventually killed off.

Those vines should live on with it, but uproot anything else around them that is not tolerant. By the way, do you see any difference between your favorite and black Spanish? What about the fruit differences?

Those vines should live on with it, but uproot anything else around them that is not tolerant. By the way, do you see any difference between your favorite and black Spanish? What about the fruit differences?

The vines are in identical pots and our lawn guys mixed them up before i got them trellised so I am hoping that I have them seperated right. From what I can tell, if i have them seperated correctly, is that the 'Favorite' produces more fruit which was the large clusters in the initial post. I'm hoping that the flesh of the Favorite is white so that i can tell which is which because the Black Spanish flesh is red inside. the Favorite seem to ripen faster also as the Black Spanish haven't even started verasion yet.

Did the rose spray work for ya? I had a similar mite-ish lookin bug problem as well...they swarmed the tips of my Cab Sauv. I sprayed with that organic stuff I mentioned and it worked great for me.

Did the rose spray work for ya? I had a similar mite-ish lookin bug problem as well...they swarmed the tips of my Cab Sauv. I sprayed with that organic stuff I mentioned and it worked great for me.

yeah it did great. I havent seen a sharpshooter since in the area. Before everytime I went out I saw one.

Nice looking grapes.
My Favorite grapes have a couple berries turning now. If you pull up messina hoff wines and read some specs on their BlackSpanish wines, you will see they get some of their grapes up to 32 brix. Last year was my first production year, my Favorite must was 23 brix.

I also have lomanto, that is currently reading 18 brix, I will be picking them soon.

32? Good night. How are your lomato vines doing- in reference to disease resistance? I wa thinking of ordering a few.

Latest posts

Back