Testing must and wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky

Chronologically Gifted Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would like to see a discussion from the very experienced wine-makers on this site regarding the subject of "testing." Some of theitemsthat would be helpful to cover would be:

1. How much testing is absolutely necessary?
2. Inorder from the most important to the least important, which tests are recommended and why?
3. What equipment is recommended foreach test?
4. What is the risk/danger of not performing aspecific test?

Iknow this would be helpful to me and I imagine others have some of the same questions. Thank you.

(I just re-read this post and it sounds like an essay question, i.e. "Define and discuss..." I guess I always wanted to be a Professor.)

I am sure that all you mavens are working on your term paper and that is why no one has responded as yet. I am waiting breathlessly for your papers!

I would say that sulfite testing is the most important and there are many ways to go about it at many different price levels also. I have videos in the Tutorials area on each of these ways so you can see how easy or hard it is plus a link to the price on most. PH & TA would be second only because most here use kits and they are already pre balanced as far as this goes but if not making wine from a kit it is pretty important also as Sulfite levels need to be adjusted according to PH levels and to get a good tasting and stable wine TA and PH need to be within reason. I would say most home winemakers such as us are either very low or very high on sulfites and usually not in the recommended zone by winging it.

Well, I am not a highly experienced wine maker but will respond - there is more testing for non-kit wines which for me includes sg, ph, and titrable acid. I took one stab at residual sugar which was hard for me to read and I need to work on that some more. Next is free sulfites and I am going to get the Vinmetrica device as it is cheaper than the Hanna (i.e., in my price range) but appears easier than the inexpensive methods that require judging color (which seems to be a challenge for me)

Latest posts

Back