Testing kits/Equipment

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris1

Reaction score
Hi I'm new around here and would like to know what testing equipment is best for my money. I have made a few wines wit out testing pH or acid and would like to start adjusting these because it seams to be an important part of making your own wines from fruits or other ingredients.

Thanks,Chris

I would suggest you have;
Hydrometer
TA testing kit and what needed to raise and lower acid
Ph meter
2-4 straining bags
And of course all the chemicals needed

I would suggest getting a hydrometer and an Acid Test kit. Both are vital tools in winemaking and will help you along your way. You can easily monitor your fermentation progress, ABV, and SG with a hydrometer and the Acid Test Kit will help you adjust your acid levels.

Ok I have a Hydrometer no TA or acid testing kits yet and a whole bunch of chemicals some from a wine starter kit and some I bought myself. and a few nylon bags also.

My other gear right now is.

23L Jemi john
6.5 gallon primary
10 1 gallon jugs
1 leaver corker (getting a floor corker this Friday)
corks, labels markers, wine log book(need to get better at taking more s.g.'s :slp)
thats about it for right now plan on getting for primary's and carboys along the way but I'm just starting out :)

Sounds like you have a good start - the floor corker was a good upgrade.

I would also make sure you have Potassium Metabisulphite and a racking cane.

I would suggest getting bigger carboys - 10 one gallon jugs is a lot of individual racking, measuring, etc.

Chris you well on your way and glad to see you're
re getting the floor corker. I would also recommend the Buon Vino gravity filler. This is a great addition for bottling for about $35.00.
I would suggest you calling George at Fine Vine Wines or our other sponsor at Midwest and talk to them personally. They will be more then happy to talk to you and help you out. The prices and shipping are fair also.

Thanks for all the info. I would like an auto filler I only have a rod one at the moment and upgrading equipment is always fun :D. I will give them a call more then likely around tax return time :mny lol that will be around the time I'll be looking for my first pail(s) and a press.

About the floor corker I really liek that they are faster and easer but i had a scary moment when i broke a bottle corking it with the leaver one and it almost went into my leg :slp so i think a floor corker would be much safer for the little extra money better then going to the hospital lol.

If I were to start all over again I wouldnt play around with the acid test kits and just save a little more and get a PH meter as its way more accurate and much easier to read instead of playing around trying to see a color difference in a very dark liquid. You can get them pretty cheap now a days.

List for the wine store is getting big need to wright all this down.

pH meter
Acid test
TA test
Buon Vino gravity filler
and some bigger carboys

The little ones are for fruit wines I get fresh picked and its sometimes hard to get enough for more then 1-2 gallon batches at a time damn birds :gb get to em to fast.

Latest posts

Back