Testing Acids & PH Options??

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grancru

Reaction score
Does anyone have an inexpensive yet accurate method of testing the acids and Ph of must to balance the wine?

What methods do you use?

Brix is easy but what about these two?

will that give accurate readings. How long will it last?

This meter has stood up for 3 years and it does ok for now. You can and should calibrate it with buffer solutions before each use and it only goes to (1) DECIMAL PLACE.
Because I only make from 12-24 gallons of wine a year (2-4 carboys), it didn't make economical sense to purchase an expensive one at the time. I've used it for winemaking, cider and beermaking.

If someone wants to get highly accurate readings, spend 90$ or more on a Hanna or similar. One that will read to (2) decimal places is better for sure.

However, with that being said, if you are on a super tight budget and can't afford a fancy one, this will get you in the ballpark and improve your wine dramatically.

Having 2 degrees in biochem and molecular biology (BS,MS), I will tell you not to waste your money on any meter under $60-80. The one linked above for $7, I can't believe that is worth anything. The Hanna meter (which I own) is the bargain basement lowest option I would spend my money on.

pH meters are sensitive and non-cheap equipment.

Buy several sets of calibrating solution, re-calibrate every time you use it. Store the electrode wet. Keep a gallon of distilled water around for rinsing.

As for acid testing, one is well advised to invest in a real titration buret and a stand. If you titrate with a syringe, like comes with the kits, it is a rough approximation only.

Anyone know how one decides that it is time to change the electrode wand in a ph meter?

For the most part when you can't get a stable reading even after soaking it in electrode storage solution or buffer solution.

Back