WineXpert temperature troubles

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyTy

Junior
Reaction score
Hey Guys,

I just started my third batch - a selection international barolo. I'm really looking forward to it but i had a quick question about temperature. With my other two kits i used a brew belt to combat the rough Michigan weather. I found that with the brew belt on the primary, the temp was a steady 75-77 degrees. Without it, it dropped to 63 degrees. This really sped up the fermentation time (2-3 days in the primary until the appropriate sg was reached). In the secondary, since the brew belt cannot be used on glass, this was even more of a problem maintaining adequate temp. Any ideas on how to solve the problem of keeping temp at 65-75 degrees in primary (and even more so in the carboy) without freezing or burning my little yeasties to death?

According to the directions I have, the brew belt can be used on the glass carboys-just don't cover. Also the higher you place it on the carboy, the less heat the wine will absorb. Once fermentation slows down on it's own, I usually place my carboys where they will bet at 62-65 degrees anyway- it slows fermentation down even further and I think brings more out in the wines. Also don't leave the belt on for more than 8 days.

Does yours look like this?
20061213_032117_brew_belt_small.jpg

Edited by: appleman

I use a heating pad pretty effectively, I place a folded towel on top of the pad and then put my fermenter on the towel.

Old sweatshirts and towels can be used, as well. In addition, I have found a product to handle this task. Just need to find time to order it.

You yankees have it so easy with your basements and cold. I have trouble keeping the temperature down! My wine is in a room on an outside wall, with the heating vent and door closed, and it's 71F in there right now.

I want a basement!!!

thanks for all the tips. Think i'll try to raise the belt on the primary a little to slow down fermentation. i'll let you know how it turns out.

PeterZ said:
You yankees have it so easy with your basements and cold. I have trouble keeping the temperature down! My wine is in a room on an outside wall, with the heating vent and door closed, and it's 71F in there right now.

I want a basement!!!

I miss mine. I am originally from Illinois. Always had a basement. Where I live now if I had a basement it would be an indoor pool as you can stub your toe on the ground and hit water here. Guess that is a drawback of livingat sea level with one of the highest water tables in the region.

Smurfe

I have a basement with a thin layer, about 1/2" of concrete that is
cracked in many spots and we have a high water table here as well. I
pulled up a chunk that cracked out and there is the water right there.
I think this whole town used to be a swamp and they just filled in.

I also use the brew belt .. But once the fermentation gets going than I take it off and have not had a problem in the 60 degree basement..

Back