Tastes Green

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clawrence111

Reaction score
I have done three kits since August 2010.
The first was a WineKitz Cab/Merlot. I followed the instructions but aged for an extra 4-6 weeks in5 gallon carboy. I bottled 3 and tasted, it was actually pretty good but a bit effervesent. Before bottling the remaining 5 gallons, I did a more thorough degassing which worked well. Had some in November and it still tasted pretty good. then in December 2010 and now Feb 2011 the wine tastes green. It's not tainted per se but just doesn't taste as good as when it was fresh out of carboy. I plan on letting it sit in the bottles longer but was really hoping for something much better by now. Any ideas. - this relates as well to two other kits I've got going - one (Sangiove) bottled and a Cab/Shiraz still in carboy.

thanks

When wine is first bottled, it has some oxygen in it from the process. That helps the wine seem a bit more aged, but is soon gone. This is why those of us with more experience and patience will wait 9 months to a year minimum to start evaluating a wine. You can either wait longer to let it get age and open up with all it has to offer, or open it now and use a decanter to let it breathe and get a bit of air. That often will improve it quite a bit so you can enjoy it sooner.

Thanks. I've seen those and they are pretty handy devices. We've considered having one for the travels.

At home we use a wine aerating funnel with mesh filter when we pour into our decanter. even so, the wines just aren't ready, even after leaving to sit for a few hours or day.

I think I'll just have to be patient and let time do some work. In the meantime, I hope to be starting my 4th kit soon.

I am just discovering this forum. there is a lot of good information. I should have been here months ago.

I have done blind taste tests with the vinturi .vs. no aeration. Every time the vinturi won.

Yep, I love mine! I pour from the bottle to the vinturi into the decanter, then from the decanter to vinturi to glass. Takes easily 2 to 3 hours off decanting times.

Back