Tannins and crab apple wine

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HarvestWine

Junior
Reaction score
I was given a "tried, tested and true" crab apple recipe. However, when started I noticed it was very dark (due to the added tannin) and I want to know if there is anything I can do to save this wine.

I am assuming I shouldn't of added all of the tannin the recipe called for. 2 1/2 tbsp. for 6 gal. batch. Now, after reading some threads it seems like crab apples have enough and I shouldn't of added it.

I'm assuming I need to do an acid test immediately?

I was given a "tried, tested and true" crab apple recipe. However, when started I noticed it was very dark (due to the added tannin) and I want to know if there is anything I can do to save this wine.

I am assuming I shouldn't of added all of the tannin the recipe called for. 2 1/2 tbsp. for 6 gal. batch. Now, after reading some threads it seems like crab apples have enough and I shouldn't of added it.

I'm assuming I need to do an acid test immediately?

Yup, crabs are high in tannin and many of them are also high in acid. But those are two different things. How does it taste? If it's too strong in either tannin or acid, then blending with some sweet cider might be an option. What stage of the winemaking process is it in?

Found this on eckraus.com and will probably try:

"Here's What I Would Suggest

Once the wine is done fermenting and has cleared the best it can on its own, gently warm the wine up to 85°F. This can be done with a heat source as mild as a 100 watt light bulb. It may take a day or better for the temperature to rise.

Once up to 85°F. add a dose of bentonite to the wine. Bentonite is great for dropping our excess proteins — tannin being one of them. It is the closest thing to a wine tannin remover as you will find. Keep the wine at 85°F until it becomes clear again, usually 2 to 4 days. Then rack the wine off the sediment and allow to cool back down to normal temperatures.

Three things that would be helpful in reducing the affects of oxidation from this process would be:

1) Add ascorbic acid to the wine, now. Ascorbic acid will help to limit the oxidative reactions throughout the wine making process and from heat. The dosage should be 1/8 teaspoon per gallon.

2) Keep the wine vessels topped-up. Don't allow air-space to be in with the wine.

3) Keep the wine sulfited. You should add a dose right after the fermentation has completed and again, after adding the bentonite. This could be either: Campden tablets, sodium metabisulfite or potassium metabisulfite.

Some additional thoughts: Wines with too much wine tannin powder tend to need more aging, but once aged out they tend to taste better than the same wine low in tannin. This is all subjective, of course, but it is a general consensus among winemakers. So you have that going for you. Also, wine tannin lowers the pH of a wine. Low pH is deterrent to oxidation, so this is a good thing for your pear wine, as well.

It sums up to this: the fact that you added too much wine tannin powder does not necessarily mean your wine is ruined. There are ways of reducing it. Both heat and bentonite act in concert as a wine tannin remover to some degree.

- See more at: http://www.eckraus.com/blog/wine-tannin-powder-remover-effects#sthash.cStOef1P.dpuf

First, not all crabs are high in tannins, what did your taste like? Sounds like you are mixing up acid and tannins in your description, does your must taste tart or does it dry your tongue? Casein is also highly recommended for removing excessive tannins. Its seems as though this is a your wine, you might want to just add some patience and see how it turns out after it clears, you may not have to do anything if the tannins drop out with the yeast. WVMJ

I tasted the must yesterday and it tasted just fine. I think I was a little scared with the amount I put in compared to other recipes. Since the color changed so dark, I was thinking it also lost that pretty blush color you get from reddish crab apples. Luckily the color was not harmed either. Once again I am reminded to wait patiently.

Latest posts

Back