WineXpert Tannin Riche Extra in WE Eclipse Chardonnay

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AZMDTed

Just a guy
Reaction score
I'm thinking of adding some Scotts Tannin Riche Extra to a batch of WE Exclipse Dry Creek Chardonnay I have aging. I'm hoping to get just a bit 'more' out of the wine and this will be my first attempt at adding Tannins. Has anyone else added this to theirs, and if so how much, how did it turn out, any advice?

Thanks.

Never added tannin to a white and probably wouldn't recommend it. But that's just me. Scotts makes a Tannin FT Blanc for whites but I believe this is intended for pre-fermentation only rather than post.

In the Eclipse Chad I've done, I add 1oz of Am oak chips to the primary. Since I prefer a lightly oaked chard, I've never added oak (or tannin) post ferm.

do a bench trial. make a 10% solution by added 10 grams of tannin to 100 ml of water.
make samples of 375 ml of wine. for 100 ppm tannin added .375 ml to sample, for 200 ppm add .75 and for 300 ppm add 1.125. place wine under cork and good storage for about two weeks do taste test and select the best.
these ratio obtained from scott labs at a seminar years ago.

Why add tannin or oak to a kit that is stylistically "unoaked"? Why not start with a Chardonnay that has an oak "style" comes with oak, and work from there? If you do add tannin or oak to this kit, at least split it into two parts, and make half straight up, so you know if you improved it or not.

Thanks all for your thoughts. I'm probably just trying to hard to make a white more like the big bodied reds I really prefer. But I'm at that point where I would like to experiment.

Salcoco: That's a good plan. I think I'll give that a shot and see what happens.

The next batch for testing with tannins will be a WE Eclipse Barossa Valley Shiraz and that's the one I'm hoping will really stand out.

I'm thinking of adding some Scotts Tannin Riche Extra to a batch of WE Exclipse Dry Creek Chardonnay I have aging. I'm hoping to get just a bit 'more' out of the wine and this will be my first attempt at adding Tannins. Has anyone else added this to theirs, and if so how much, how did it turn out, any advice?

Thanks.

I save my tannins for reds.

Back