Tannin query

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Geronimo

Norges Skaal!
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I've been trying my luck with Tan'cor Grand Cru, Tannin Riche and Tannin Riche Extra.

So far, I'm detecting a little extra complexity but very little "spice" or "bite" after 6 months or so.

I've been trying to stay at 3g Tan'cor Grand Cru, or 3.5g Tannin Riche or 4.5g Tannin Riche Extra.

Has anyone else got any different experiences?

Thanks for posting this, Jim. I am very interested in everyone's personal experience on their tannin use. I just started to use finishing tannins.

As am I - I recently purchased Tannin Riche Extra and am interested to see what/how others use it.

On a side note: it smells so good I had a lick the other day...not bad :)

I've only used grand Cru, but am usually closer to 6g for a 6 gallon batch. I just received my first TanninRiche, and may try some of that on last year's Malbec.

Upon further review, I'm going to split the batch. Half will get Grand Cru and half RicheExtra. Come back in 6 months and I'll give a full report. :)

Last edited:
So far I only used ft rouge soft and ft rouge tannin. And I will tell you that it has a bite and mouthfeel. I just started bulk aging a few wines. I took a sip or toe or three and I was really warm lol

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

I'm sort of wondering if there's a limit to how much you can change. What I mean is that over time, the wine will seek out a natural balance.

I've been buying the packets of Tannin Riche and Tannin Riche Extra at Midwest when I stop there, so they are pre-measured. I don't have a super accurate scale for the Tan'cor Grand Cru so I've been using a teaspoon measure just to be consistent.

I used Tannin Riche Extra to a Nebbiolo I just bottled a few weeks ago. Maybe it's a bit too early, but all I taste is wood right now, even though I added just a touch. I'm a little disappointed to say the least. I hope this fades out.

I do love dry wines. Does anyone use grape tannin?? I was thinking to try this over the Tannin Riche Extra.

I've been adding 8 g of Tannin FT Rouge to primary, and then 2.2 g Tannin Riche for aging. (And Raelene, I agree: the Tannin Riche does smell nice and tastes okay even at nearly full strength!)

But I cannot tell you how this has affected the wines, as I simply don't have the long-term experience. I do have an experiment going with a CC Old Vine Zin, where I added Tannin Riche to 10 bottles and nothing to 10 bottles. Let you know in a year!

Just bought some FT Rouge Soft for my LE Pino Noir. I understand it is specifically made for light wines like Pinot.

Guess I'll know in a year or so!

Just bought some FT Rouge Soft for my LE Pino Noir. I understand it is specifically made for light wines like Pinot.

Guess I'll know in a year or so!

I used the soft on my eclipse Pinot and does show promise. I added mine to secondary though. I normally add 2 tablespoons to secondary. For my super Tuscan I just added 1/3 tablespoon to primary of ft rouge

I used the soft on my eclipse Pinot and does show promise. I added mine to secondary though. I normally add 2 tablespoons to secondary. For my super Tuscan I just added 1/3 tablespoon to primary of ft rouge

Instructions state to use it during primary and if you add any later to wait to bottle. Guess it doesn't dissolve or settle out easily?

You can use it post fermentation but would leave it in fir 3 to 6 weeks as instructed on company site. I leave in secondary for 15 days. So I get a good bit amount infused.

I may leave it in for 3 weeks. I'm never in a rush lol

I do love dry wines. Does anyone use grape tannin?? I was thinking to try this over the Tannin Riche Extra.
I too would like to hear from anyone who has used the grape tannin, I'm curious as to the difference.

The "3-6 weeks before bottling" is supposedly for polymerization (the effect of long chain molecules forming). That seems to also suppose that 6 gallons of wine will (at the molecular level) yield a different result than 750 mL.

For me at least, the real issue is clarity and integration.

Latest posts

Back