Tannin query

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
http://grapestoglass.com/shop/tannin/liquid-grape-tannin/

I picked up a bottle from Spagnol's but have no idea when to use it or what it does lol

Tannins are tannins... sort of. The difference in the composition will be the flavor it imparts (if any) and how well it combines with the wine.

Here's a good article

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f86/tannins-know-when-why-add-them-42039/

Grape tannin isn't going to add flavor so much as astringency. Grape tannin can legitimately come from the skins, seeds and/or stems. Since grape skins are used in wine making, and grape seeds are used to produce oil... that makes stems the likely source.

If you have a wine that lacks any "zest" or "spice", tannin might be your answer. You have to be REALLY careful adding the stuff, though, because you can't take it back out. Ever see a chef turn the salt container upside down over the soup kettle and watch the top come off? Pretty much dumpster juice after that. When they say "add to taste" it's really an art form to getting it right. Tannins will soften over time... to a degree. Just something to keep in mind when adding them is if you plan to cellar the wine for 5+ years you might err slightly higher than your palate suggests.

Good luck!!

Hi everyone. I'm a noob with tannins. Will they get filtered out with 5 or 1 micron filters?

Sent from my iPhone using Wine Making

At the molecular level, no. The solids (powder) will, yes.

Wine tannin is a naturally occurring polyphenol compund found in the skins, stems and seeds of the grape. In wine making, we extract tannins from oak as well. Most commercially available tannin additives come from various sources like nut shells, exotic woods, and other fruits. Unsweetened black tea is a great example of nearly pure tannin.

Thank you for helping me understand tannins more. I guess I will filter six gallons now with 5/1 micron filters, and start experimenting with various tannins in small quantities.I need to learn more about their reason.

Best of luck with your journeys thanks again for the help.

Take care all.

When we started experimenting with tannins and whether or not to use them we did the bench trial thing -got out 33 glasses of wine mixed in what we figured was one glass worth of three different tannins and left one without and tasted them (without waiting for polymerization or long chain development or anything else). WE found a big delicious difference and liked them all better than nothing found one particular tannin we liked best then did bench trials with that tannin using different amounts to figure out how much we liked. We then added a bit less to our big batch as we didn't know if it would fall back or get stronger over time. We add tannins in at least 2 stages to all our wines now, sometimes 3 stages. We find it adds alittle something extra for our taste.

When we started experimenting with tannins and whether or not to use them we did the bench trial thing -got out 33 glasses of wine mixed in what we figured was one glass worth of three different tannins and left one without and tasted them (without waiting for polymerization or long chain development or anything else). WE found a big delicious difference and liked them all better than nothing found one particular tannin we liked best then did bench trials with that tannin using different amounts to figure out how much we liked. We then added a bit less to our big batch as we didn't know if it would fall back or get stronger over time. We add tannins in at least 2 stages to all our wines now, sometimes 3 stages. We find it adds alittle something extra for our taste.

Which tannin did you find you liked best?

Which tannin did you find you liked best?

Yes please tell, I am eager to read these details as well. :) I only have one type. It's made by LD Carlson and is labeled simply Wine Tannin....I used it once for primary fermentation, and must confess that I was simply following the directions of the recipe. I have no idea what is happening, and want to learn.

Yes please tell, I am eager to read these details as well. :) I only have one type. It's made by LD Carlson and is labeled simply Wine Tannin....I used it once for primary fermentation, and must confess that I was simply following the directions of the recipe. I have no idea what is happening, and want to learn.

Follow Paul's link and you'll learn a lot!

Personally, I've used the most expensive tannins in moderate doses. Tannin Riche, Tannin Riche Extra, Tancor Grand Cru.... all of which are fine. We're talking about adding $5 - $10 to a 6 gallon batch so "expensive" is subjective.

That "LD Carlson wine tannin" is mostly chestnut shell extract. It's best for primary fermentation IMO. Sacrificial tannins they call them.

Good luck!

Follow Paul's link and you'll learn a lot!

Personally, I've used the most expensive tannins in moderate doses. Tannin Riche, Tannin Riche Extra, Tancor Grand Cru.... all of which are fine. We're talking about adding $5 - $10 to a 6 gallon batch so "expensive" is subjective.

That "LD Carlson wine tannin" is mostly chestnut shell extract. It's best for primary fermentation IMO. Sacrificial tannins they call them.

Good luck!

Thank you so much. I really learned a lot from the link. I will research the Cellaring and Finishing Tannins now, and experiment soon I guess. The organic chemistry element is really interesting....until I catch a buzz. Then it's just, sip, sip, yep....that'll do just fine.

Cheers Mates!

Have a great night, take care everyone.

I just found the many types Scott'Tan Tannins. I'll just get them all and have some fun with a couple one gallon jugs of Dragon Blood.

We both agreed on the tan cor grand cru for that particular wine a mm Cabernet and most if our bigger reds ie cabs, Tempranillo, Zinfandel, cab blends.

That was my choice, too, but I can't find it any more.

Latest posts

Back