Tannin Powder for a Chilean Cab Merlot ?

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerryF

Reaction score
I have a small batch (6 gal) of a Chilean cabernet merlot blend which has been fermenting in my primary now for about 6 days. I should finish out around 13% abv according to the SG readings I've done. My question is if I can get a bit more dryness by adding some tannin powder while still in the fermentation stage. Not sure how much I should add or even if I should add it at all (can't leave well enough alone - just gotta experiment and mess around) ? Does anyone have experience using the powdered tannin additive?

Jerry

I have a small batch (6 gal) of a Chilean cabernet merlot blend which has been fermenting in my primary now for about 6 days. I should finish out around 13% abv according to the SG readings I've done. My question is if I can get a bit more dryness by adding some tannin powder while still in the fermentation stage. Not sure how much I should add or even if I should add it at all (can't leave well enough alone - just gotta experiment and mess around) ? Does anyone have experience using the powdered tannin additive?

Jerry

I did with mine, I added 2 tbs. of tannin and one pound of Raisins to mine when I racked it to the carboy. It started fermenting again from the raisin addition and when it finished about 3 weeks later I racked it again and added one more tablespoon of tannin. It is excellent.

is this a paklab kit?

Look at this link, go down to the Sangiovese post.

http://www.winemakingtalk.com/forum/f61/almond-wine-9155/index26.html

Not paklab. This kit is a VDV Premium and it did NOT come with any tannin powder in the additives pak. This is just me wondering if I can get the dryness texture (?) I'd like to try with an addition of tannin powder while at the same time, not ruining the entire batch. I think I'll try just 1 TBS in the secondary. Since I've never used the tannin powder additive before, do you dissolve it in water first (assuming it is soluble) or just drop the powder in and it will dissolve on its own? When I racked into the secondary my SG was at 1.004 and now 2 days later, there is all kinds of fermentation still going on (a bubble every 15 seconds) so I know I'll be leaving it in there for a while yet.

Jerry :dg

Last edited:
Not paklab. This kit is a VDV Premium and it did NOT come with any tannin powder in the additives pak. This is just me wondering if I can get the dryness texture (?) I'd like to try with an addition of tannin powder while at the same time, not ruining the entire batch. I think I'll try just 1 TBS in the secondary. Since I've never used the tannin powder additive before, do you dissolve it in water first (assuming it is soluble) or just drop the powder in and it will dissolve on its own? When I racked into the secondary my SG was at 1.004 and now 2 days later, there is all kinds of fermentation still going on (a bubble every 15 seconds) so I know I'll be leaving it in there for a while yet.

Jerry :dg
Jerry,

Dissolve the tannin powder in a cup of the hottest water possible. wait untill it melts then add to the wine.

Latest posts

Back