Syrah and Cab Sav

Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum

Help Support Winemaking Talk - Winemaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mcamnl

Reaction score
I jumped on with my friends wine club spring juice buy and picked up a bucket of Syrah and a bucket of Cab Sav. First solo attempt at a bucket. They were pretty cold when I picked them up last night so they are sitting for a bit till I get out of work.
I was looking over the recipe last night and they call for Ascorbic Acid. I read a little on this and it looks to help prevent oxidation and discoloring? One of the other club members did an acid test on his bucket of Syrah and he reported acidity of 5.2. I have an acid test kit so I will check mine. If the acid level falls in the proper range I won't add any acid blend. Will adding Ascorbic acid cause a big jump in the acidity? It is an acid.
I am figuring on adding sugar (if needed) and pectic enzyme tonight then nutrients and yeast tomorrow after church.
This might be a stupid question..do I check and adjust acid first or just before pitching the yeast? Just wondering where in the process to do the adjusting.
Thank you much. I'm sure I will have more questions. Still consider myself a rookie.

Yes asorbic acid is acid and it will lower your PH(raise acid). If your PH is 5.2 like your friend is will help. If your acid Tit test is 5.2 you will need some acid blend. I have never added asorbic acid to any wine

I would NOT add sugar or you may get rocket fuel

You wont need any ascorbic acid. Its mainly used on white wines or lighter fruits that oxidize very easily like an apple with a bite out of it. If its close in TA I wouldnt adjust it now and just do after fermentation. Ascorbic acid wont do much if anything to raise TA. When working with red grapes or juice you really only want to use Tartaric acid as its tied in much closer with ph. Is this pre inoculated juice? You may want to sulfite it and use a yeast of your choice!

I didn't have to add any sugar. I read ~1.09 on both.
I don't know if it is pre inoculated or not. Last year when I did my batch of Syrah I added my own yeast. That is what I am planning with these.
I am not sure if I did my acid test right or not. I followed the directions on the box and did the test twice and came up with .4 so I added the recommended amount of acid blend to bring it up. It is now a little over .5 I didn't have any Tartaric acid on hand. Maybe I will practice some acid testing on a bottle of red I have from a local winery.

Both buckets are bubbling away. The Syrah seems to be a bit more vigorous than the Cab Sav.
Do I need to stir these everyday or will they be good till transferring to secondary?
I was figuring a little mixing just before racking to the carboy.
Another thought I was having, what would be a better secondary? I have a 6.5 gallon carboy and I just picked up a 6 gallon. I also have 2 5s and 2 1s. For finishing up fermentation and degassing wouldn't a 6.5 gallon be better with the extra head room? The 6 I was thinking would be for after secondary. Maybe I should buy or borrow another 6.5 gallon for secondary.
Or maybe I am just over thinking this. :) Always a possibility.

No mixing necessary. I would not disturb the lees before racking. I like to rack @ 1.015ish and let it finish in secondary.
Did you add yeast or was it the wild yesat that trook over.

Latest posts

Back